Class D Crest factor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You ask who? :-D

negative. it is possible, as long as you drive the amp with max. amplitude of the input signal. in fact the amp will draw the output power / eff. i do not comment weather or not can withstand this for long term, this depends on the particular design. imagine that you use a class D amp to drive whatever load needs a continuous wave, sine or other shape, a particular example is a DC-AC inverter, who

-ok, i see your meaning, though i used to work on SMPS for flat screen TV.

I did loads of thermal tests on the flyback which supplied the Class D audio amplifiers.

I distinctly remeber that at peak audio power, the flyback failed the thermal test by a long way.

However, no managers were concerned.

-Because all they were bothered about was that the flyback could continuously supply peak audio power divided by three....which it could.

Given this fact, on these TV's which are sold the world over, how can we be saying that Class D amplifiers can supply more than peak power divided by two.?

-Because all they were bothered about was that the flyback could continuously supply peak audio power divided by three....which it could.

That's a very conservatory specification. If I were in the finance department of this company I would demand why these engineering managers agreed to a too high specification. Continuous output is typically -9/-10dB or 8/10 times lower than the peak output, so 3 times lower is a very conservatory specification and it probably should have been even lower at peak power divided by 4 or even 6, to give at least 50% headroom. 200%+ headroom seem exaggerated.

Naturally that could be tempered by the opposite cost of needed large capacitors but it was something I would definitely address if I was in your finance department.

Last edited:
OK thanks, in my post (2 back) i accidentally said the Class D was supplying.....of course, i meant the smps (the smps that supplies the Class D
amplifier.)

or rather , that the class D amplifier "draws" power

Anyway, Heatsinked fets heat up in about 2 seconds, so i wouldnt want to de-rate that much.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.