Simplest Audio Amp with 10 Watts - need help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2012, 01:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simplest Audio Amp with 10 Watts - need help

Hi,
I am trying to build a very simple stereo audio power amplifier that will take audio input from my MP3 player and drive 2 external speakers. The output should be 10 watts RMS or more. I want to use the least possible number of external resistors and capacitors or other components. I would also like to get the IC chip as a free sample. So, it has to be manufactured by TI, Analog Devices or one of the companies that provide free ICs. The input power supply should be either single 5 volts DC from a PC USB port or single 12 volts DC from a car battery.
Any suggestions on which IC chip to use?
Your help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by sellerr2d2; 13th January 2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 13th January 2012, 02:17 AM   #2
HFGuy is offline HFGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Search for gainclone, you cannot beat the simplicity of a chip amp.
Old 13th January 2012, 02:22 AM   #3
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Yes they are nice easy amps. (Chipamps)
It will give you more power then you need, cheap and easy.
You will actually have a decent amp when your done, rather then just a project.

Make sure you have a ".org" email account if your looking for free chips.

Lot's of gainclone/chipamp schematics on here for you, or order a kit like this: DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.
Old 13th January 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your comments. I searched for "gainclone" on this forum and it returned hundreds of threads. Can you please give me more specific info, perhaps a link to a good thread that has the IC information, circuit schematic etc.?
I also checked the link from GloBug. It takes me to a page where they sell amp kits. I am not interested in that. I want to build by own super simple amp, not buy one.
I am a student and have a .edu email address. Will it work for free samples?
Old 13th January 2012, 02:46 AM   #5
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There's a lot of useful stuff available with Velleman Kits. This is a Audio Amp 2X10W using TDA2616. They supply schematics too, as PDFs.

Velleman, Inc.

This is a 2X 5W MP3 player amp. Runs off DC:

Velleman, Inc.

Cheap as chips, those kits! Don't know quite how that ties in with getting the IC free though.
Old 13th January 2012, 03:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the Velleman link. Where can I get a free sample of TDA2616? I am a student and have a .edu email address.
Old 13th January 2012, 03:31 AM   #7
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Here is the link for an Audiosector chipamp. DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

If your just itching for a project, go take something apart like an old boombox or PC speakers, look the chip up and go from there. FREE

If you are going to spend a few bucks, as I said the "gainclone" project will get you a usable stereo amp as opposed to a project novelty.
Old 13th January 2012, 05:19 AM   #8
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

All you need really here is a headphone to RCA phono adaptor, of course.

Available in the UK from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-phono-to-3...eoadaptor-1218

Means you can plug your player into any stereo amplifier's Phono inputs with the aid of a phono lead. I do this with a DAB radio and it works well.

It's a bit of an ask to get a serious amplifier powered by a USB cable's 5V supply. I don't think many USBs do enough power.
Old 13th January 2012, 05:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellerr2d2 View Post
Hi,
I am trying to build a very simple stereo audio power amplifier that will take audio input from my MP3 player and drive 2 external speakers. The output should be 10 watts RMS or more. I want to use the least possible number of external resistors and capacitors or other components. I would also like to get the IC chip as a free sample. So, it has to be manufactured by TI, Analog Devices or one of the companies that provide free ICs. The input power supply should be either single 5 volts DC from a PC USB port or single 12 volts DC from a car battery.
Any suggestions on which IC chip to use?
Your help will be much appreciated.
Hi . You wont be be able to get 10 Watts RMS plus from a usb port.
5 volts at a max of 500mA just wont do it.. So that leaves you 12 volts from a car battrey this can also supply lots and lots of current . It would be a very good idea to use 4 Ohm loudspeakers . Forget the gainclones at this voltage . you need to look for an ic that will run on a single rail supply Also it would be better if it was a BTL chip. With all this in mind a chip wich is suited to car audio will be the easiest cheapest way to deal with what you need.

Regards Ian

Last edited by madtecchy; 13th January 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 13th January 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your comments. Where can I get a free sample of TDA2616?

Hide this!Advertise here!