Simplest Audio Amp with 10 Watts - need help - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There's always this one from the bay eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace Ive got a couple of these and they're quite good for not a lot of money.
Even if you got your chip for free, there's still a cost involved, PCB/matrix board, connectors etc.
Or there's this one mini PAM8403 Power Amp Stereo 3W | eBay if you want to run it off a USB socket. Only 3w per channel though.
Old 13th January 2012, 07:41 PM   #12
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Don't abuse the free sample services offered by chip companies, it just makes life harder for design engineers/technicians that have a legitimate use for them.

There's lots of cheap amplifiers up on eBay, as Bone mentioned above - go with one of those. I'd personally go with a TA2020 based amp running off a 12V supply or the 12V car battery you mentioned.

edit: You won't get 10 watts RMS out of a PC USB port, period. Go with 12V.
Old 14th January 2012, 05:46 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
Don't abuse the free sample services offered by chip companies, it just makes life harder for design engineers/technicians that have a legitimate use for them.

There's lots of cheap amplifiers up on eBay, as Bone mentioned above - go with one of those. I'd personally go with a TA2020 based amp running off a 12V supply or the 12V car battery you mentioned.

edit: You won't get 10 watts RMS out of a PC USB port, period. Go with 12V.
So, are you saying my effort is not legitimate?
Old 14th January 2012, 08:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellerr2d2 View Post
So, are you saying my effort is not legitimate?
Chip companies offer free samples for engineers/designers to evaluate, with the hopes that if the part works as intended, the designer will then integrate it into a high volume design. Give out a few to sell a few thousand.

Sample programs aren't intended to be a source of free parts for people who are too cheap to buy the parts from Digikey or some other distributor - and plan to just build a single device with the free sample and call it a day.

No offense, but you're closer to the second category than the first.

I still maintain that your best bet is to buy a cheap 12V powered amplifier, something along these lines: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-TRIPATH-.../dp/B003P534SW
Old 14th January 2012, 09:36 PM   #15
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Here is a schematic for an amp built with TDA2616 Enide! - Stereo Audio Amplifier with a TDA2616
A TDA2616 can be purchased here B&D Enterprises - Electronic Components Distributor for between $5 and $10.
It looks like a kit that would be fairly simple and has a fairly low part count. It has a pretty wide input voltage range, so if you don't want to build a power supply, you might be able to find one from an electronic piece that's not being used. I'm not sure if one would work, but a computer power supply might be used; they can usually be found at thrift stores.
Mike
Old 15th January 2012, 11:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
Chip companies offer free samples for engineers/designers to evaluate, with the hopes that if the part works as intended, the designer will then integrate it into a high volume design. Give out a few to sell a few thousand.

Sample programs aren't intended to be a source of free parts for people who are too cheap to buy the parts from Digikey or some other distributor - and plan to just build a single device with the free sample and call it a day.

No offense, but you're closer to the second category than the first.

I still maintain that your best bet is to buy a cheap 12V powered amplifier, something along these lines: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-TRIPATH-.../dp/B003P534SW
I disagree with you completely. Chip manufacturers are eager to provide students with free chips. You are forgetting about the free Quality Assurance and Beta Testing data the chip companies receive from the the experimenting students. No offense, you are not very smart.
Old 15th January 2012, 11:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Chaps, could we all just take a deep breath and calm down a little. Thanks.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th January 2012, 11:40 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I found circuits built on TPA2616 and TDA2616. Are these the same chip but from different manufacturers?
Old 16th January 2012, 02:35 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I disagree with you completely. Chip manufacturers are eager to provide students with free chips. You are forgetting about the free Quality Assurance and Beta Testing data the chip companies receive from the the experimenting students. No offense, you are not very smart.
I agree that they give free chips to students. Often times they'll want a good description of the project they're going in before they'll send you parts though.

As for not being very smart, I'm an EE with 10 years of embedded hardware design experience under my belt. I've been on the phone more than a few times attempting to get samples of parts for evaluation purposes, trying to convince salesmen to help me out with a potential design - and I've been given the spiel about people trying to get samples for the wrong reasons. I'm just passing the message along.
Old 16th January 2012, 03:15 AM   #20
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SellerR2D2,
Seeing you are a new person here, a little etiquette goes a long way. Telling someone he or she is not very smart will get you nowhere FAST. Please refrain from such remarks. This is a pretty friendly community. If something is said that you don't like, keep in mind you can't see the person saying it, so you have no take on non-verbals, inflection, and such.
I gotta say, you're out of line with that comment.
Rant over.

Hide this!Advertise here!