Simplest Audio Amp with 10 Watts - need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i get it all students to stop ordering free samples ok Gmarsh says so. NOT. The op does not want embeded I.C''s so calm down and get off his back . where did he say you are not smart. Gmarsh if you where that important an engineer you would have no problems getting samples. and mikje do you always gang up on stdents someone before reading the facts .. i Guess so because i can see the proof... Now the pair of you CHILL and leave him alone

gmarsh and mikje:
I am a student. I know many electronic/electrical engineers. They ALL suggested that I get free chip samples from the manufacturers. You guys are the VERY first (self proclaimed) engineers I met who are completely against students getting free chips. Any professional engineer should have the money and connections to get free chips. In fact, my EE friends tell me that they get so many free ICs, eval boards and "junk" from the manufacturers that they are often overwhelmed with the free stuff.
That makes me question your claim as a legit university graduate EE with 10 years experience. I think you are a weekend warrior DIY hobbyist just like the most of us.

gmarsh and mikje:
I am a student. I know many electronic/electrical engineers. They ALL suggested that I get free chip samples from the manufacturers. You guys are the VERY first (self proclaimed) engineers I met who are completely against students getting free chips. Any professional engineer should have the money and connections to get free chips. In fact, my EE friends tell me that they get so many free ICs, eval boards and "junk" from the manufacturers that they are often overwhelmed with the free stuff.
That makes me question your claim as a legit university graduate EE with 10 years experience. I think you are a weekend warrior DIY hobbyist just like the most of us.

Not to keep this post going, but I am not, and do not claim to be, an engineer. Nor am I against students getting samples. As a matter of fact, I think it's a great idea and could serve the manufacturer very well.
My comment had only to do with you telling Gmarsh "you are not very smart." I'm all for you getting a free sample, but I feel your comment to Gmarsh was out of line. I'm trying to help you understand that comments like that will turn other forum members away, and might get you banned.
Mike

...but I feel your comment to Gmarsh was out of line. I'm trying to help you understand that comments like that will turn other forum members away, and might get you banned.
Mike
I do not need patronizing lectures from you. If you cannot answer my original question, move on! No one asked you to pass judgment and act superior. I never heard of anyone getting banned from public forums for exchanging rhetoric.
Who is gmarsh to call me cheap and tell me not to get free samples from the manufacturers while it is 100% legit?
Is it because I am a newbie? Then it will be bullying.

Last edited:
Here's the facts.

I'm an engineer. On two occasions, with two different IC manufacturers, I ended up having to get on the phone with salesmen and explain the design I was working on and what it was for, in order to get samples of parts. In both cases, the alternative to a sample was making a minimum order of 1000+ parts, which would have been too costly. One salesmen actually made specific reference to "people who take advantage of sample services for small projects, because they're too cheap to buy them". He specifically mentioned people who sample audio op-amps, which this particular company made. We had a chat about it for a while. That's where I get my opinion from.

Anyway, it sounds like (1) you're a student, (2) you're eager to build something and learn something in the process. So I'll let you off the hook :D

Some thoughts on your project, and its budget...

- I'd avoid building something class D. The number of specific parts required (output inductors, film capacitors, etc) for a class D project, plus the fact that a class D amplifier will probably necessitate a PCB layout, will probably blow your budget.

- You're probably better off building something along the lines of a "gainclone". A true "gainclone" requires a split power supply and a power transformer to run the thing, which you might be able to scavenge. But I'd probably suggest using a "BTL" amplifier IC designed to run from +12V DC. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but they're out there - used in car radios etc.

- "gainclone" type amplifiers require heatsinking also, so you'll want to get your hands on some aluminum plate, heatsink stock or similar.

Just built an amp with the TPA1517 IC. 6 watts. It sounds great! Only a few external components. I did not have the exact value caps, used close-enough values. Got the huge 470uf caps from a burnt computer power supply. I shunted pins 10 through 20 together and added a metal plate to act as a heatsink. The amp sounded great for a few hours. Then, it picked up low freq rumbles, and cracking noise. I cleaned the soldering paste from the joints with an old toothbrush and the rumble and noise went away. Thanks to everyone except gmarsh and mikje.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.