Simplest Audio Amp with 10 Watts - need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am trying to build a very simple stereo audio power amplifier that will take audio input from my MP3 player and drive 2 external speakers. The output should be 10 watts RMS or more. I want to use the least possible number of external resistors and capacitors or other components. I would also like to get the IC chip as a free sample. So, it has to be manufactured by TI, Analog Devices or one of the companies that provide free ICs. The input power supply should be either single 5 volts DC from a PC USB port or single 12 volts DC from a car battery.
Any suggestions on which IC chip to use?
Your help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I searched for "gainclone" on this forum and it returned hundreds of threads. Can you please give me more specific info, perhaps a link to a good thread that has the IC information, circuit schematic etc.?
I also checked the link from GloBug. It takes me to a page where they sell amp kits. I am not interested in that. I want to build by own super simple amp, not buy one.
I am a student and have a .edu email address. Will it work for free samples?

All you need really here is a headphone to RCA phono adaptor, of course.

Available in the UK from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-phono-to-3.5mm-stereoadaptor-1218

Means you can plug your player into any stereo amplifier's Phono inputs with the aid of a phono lead. I do this with a DAB radio and it works well.

It's a bit of an ask to get a serious amplifier powered by a USB cable's 5V supply. I don't think many USBs do enough power. :)

Hi,
I am trying to build a very simple stereo audio power amplifier that will take audio input from my MP3 player and drive 2 external speakers. The output should be 10 watts RMS or more. I want to use the least possible number of external resistors and capacitors or other components. I would also like to get the IC chip as a free sample. So, it has to be manufactured by TI, Analog Devices or one of the companies that provide free ICs. The input power supply should be either single 5 volts DC from a PC USB port or single 12 volts DC from a car battery.
Any suggestions on which IC chip to use?
Your help will be much appreciated.

Hi . You wont be be able to get 10 Watts RMS plus from a usb port.
5 volts at a max of 500mA just wont do it.. So that leaves you 12 volts from a car battrey this can also supply lots and lots of current . It would be a very good idea to use 4 Ohm loudspeakers . Forget the gainclones at this voltage . you need to look for an ic that will run on a single rail supply Also it would be better if it was a BTL chip. With all this in mind a chip wich is suited to car audio will be the easiest cheapest way to deal with what you need.

Regards Ian

Last edited:
Don't abuse the free sample services offered by chip companies, it just makes life harder for design engineers/technicians that have a legitimate use for them.

There's lots of cheap amplifiers up on eBay, as Bone mentioned above - go with one of those. I'd personally go with a TA2020 based amp running off a 12V supply or the 12V car battery you mentioned.

edit: You won't get 10 watts RMS out of a PC USB port, period. Go with 12V.

Don't abuse the free sample services offered by chip companies, it just makes life harder for design engineers/technicians that have a legitimate use for them.

There's lots of cheap amplifiers up on eBay, as Bone mentioned above - go with one of those. I'd personally go with a TA2020 based amp running off a 12V supply or the 12V car battery you mentioned.

edit: You won't get 10 watts RMS out of a PC USB port, period. Go with 12V.

So, are you saying my effort is not legitimate?

So, are you saying my effort is not legitimate?
Chip companies offer free samples for engineers/designers to evaluate, with the hopes that if the part works as intended, the designer will then integrate it into a high volume design. Give out a few to sell a few thousand.

Sample programs aren't intended to be a source of free parts for people who are too cheap to buy the parts from Digikey or some other distributor - and plan to just build a single device with the free sample and call it a day.

No offense, but you're closer to the second category than the first.

I still maintain that your best bet is to buy a cheap 12V powered amplifier, something along these lines: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-TRIPATH-TA2020-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B003P534SW

Here is a schematic for an amp built with TDA2616 Enide! - Stereo Audio Amplifier with a TDA2616
A TDA2616 can be purchased here B&D Enterprises - Electronic Components Distributor for between $5 and $10.
It looks like a kit that would be fairly simple and has a fairly low part count. It has a pretty wide input voltage range, so if you don't want to build a power supply, you might be able to find one from an electronic piece that's not being used. I'm not sure if one would work, but a computer power supply might be used; they can usually be found at thrift stores.
Mike

Chip companies offer free samples for engineers/designers to evaluate, with the hopes that if the part works as intended, the designer will then integrate it into a high volume design. Give out a few to sell a few thousand.

Sample programs aren't intended to be a source of free parts for people who are too cheap to buy the parts from Digikey or some other distributor - and plan to just build a single device with the free sample and call it a day.

No offense, but you're closer to the second category than the first.

I still maintain that your best bet is to buy a cheap 12V powered amplifier, something along these lines: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-TRIPATH-TA2020-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B003P534SW
I disagree with you completely. Chip manufacturers are eager to provide students with free chips. You are forgetting about the free Quality Assurance and Beta Testing data the chip companies receive from the the experimenting students. No offense, you are not very smart.

I disagree with you completely. Chip manufacturers are eager to provide students with free chips. You are forgetting about the free Quality Assurance and Beta Testing data the chip companies receive from the the experimenting students. No offense, you are not very smart.
I agree that they give free chips to students. Often times they'll want a good description of the project they're going in before they'll send you parts though.

As for not being very smart, I'm an EE with 10 years of embedded hardware design experience under my belt. I've been on the phone more than a few times attempting to get samples of parts for evaluation purposes, trying to convince salesmen to help me out with a potential design - and I've been given the spiel about people trying to get samples for the wrong reasons. I'm just passing the message along.

SellerR2D2,
Seeing you are a new person here, a little etiquette goes a long way. Telling someone he or she is not very smart will get you nowhere FAST. Please refrain from such remarks. This is a pretty friendly community. If something is said that you don't like, keep in mind you can't see the person saying it, so you have no take on non-verbals, inflection, and such.
I gotta say, you're out of line with that comment.:mad:
Rant over.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.