Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Level shifting with half brige

Hi all

I'm designing a simple half bridge class-d amplifier from a +/- 12v supply source my design uses a LM311 powered from the +/- 12v source,the comparator is outputting a PWM signal and modulating to the music source signal (no feedback yet)..

My question is how do i design the next block in the signal path to do level shifting to feed a IR2011 gate driver also i have X2 IRF640 at my disposable.

Do i need to level shift if the comparator is already swinging between (-v) and (+v) dont i just need a pulse phase splitter such as a xor gate and feed it directly to the IR gate driver ?

Ive searched other threads and don't seem to get a clear enough example how to level shift so that the IR gate drive can work correctly.

Help and Patience will be really appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone ?
Old 12th January 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
can you try a Ac coupled (capacitively) plus a DC restorer. I had done something similar, and it worked pretty fine.

I´d used a HCF4047 oscillating at 250KHz, a TS274 (four CMOS opamps) working as differential integrator, a TS3402 (a version of double LM311 with push pull output), a HCF4049 driving a couple of 3A MOSFET´s, which in turn driver the output pair. All MOSFET´s Stage!!! Capacitively coupling had the advantage that the output transistor both automatically go off under no PWM signal, or driver failure.

Good luck !!!
Old 12th January 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the double post.

No, i don't think that will work im using a IR2011 and its able to drive the mosfets without any issues, my confusion is why cant i just drive the HIN, LIN from a xor phase splitter without a level shifter.

Old 12th January 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Can be a common base/gate transistor/fet, an quick photocoupler like TLP504, or a transformer???
Old 12th January 2012, 01:31 PM   #6
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a job for an IRS20957.
Old 12th January 2012, 01:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
Sounds like a job for an IRS20957.
IRS20957 has no educational value and it cost more im using components straight from my junk box at the cost of a steeper learning curve.
Old 12th January 2012, 02:08 PM   #8
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well then... use two gates from a 4030 XOR gate, powered from 0V and -12V rails, to give inverted/non-inverted drive signals to the IR2110. If you don't have a 4030, you could use a 74x86 logic gate, but you'll have to add a 7805 regulator or similar to power it. I wouldn't use a simple inverter circuit as the time delay might cause cross-conduction on turn-on or turn-off.

I still think you're better off using a "single input" H-bridge driver, preferably with adjustable dead time. It'll make this project a lot easier and likely save you some frustration.
Old 12th January 2012, 05:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
Well then... use two gates from a 4030 XOR gate, powered from 0V and -12V rails, to give inverted/non-inverted drive signals to the IR2110. If you don't have a 4030, you could use a 74x86 logic gate, but you'll have to add a 7805 regulator or similar to power it. I wouldn't use a simple inverter circuit as the time delay might cause cross-conduction on turn-on or turn-off.

I still think you're better off using a "single input" H-bridge driver, preferably with adjustable dead time. It'll make this project a lot easier and likely save you some frustration.
Thanks for the tip gmarsh!

Here is a very minor version of the my circuit nothing special many blocks are missing example: feedback, gate driver, MOSFET and LPF i will continue exploring until i feel confidant enough to configure each signal block, (This why i used a low voltage power supply )

BTW I am using a CD4030 XOR as a phase splitter, i do feel i need to introduce a transistor buffer stage to buffer between the gate drive and comparator i don't think the Logic hi/low voltages from the comparator are a driving hard enough the pulses.

Old 12th January 2012, 05:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The output from the XOR phase splitter outputs a phase split with some strange dv/dt results.

Strange behavior not sure but the difference in XOR phase output A and B are

OUTPUT A: V-MAX=720mv and V-MIN=-4.00V
OUTPUT B: V-MAX=400mv and V-MIN=-8.00V

why are they not matched.

Hide this!Advertise here!