Basic questions about the MKll TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys!

I spend a lot of time reading the forums and brushing up my lacking electronics skills. I still have a few short questions left that I can't answer. I was thinking about buying the "MKII TA2020" from Arjan Helder.

I just had a few questions that I couldn't find the right answer to :

• Do I have to control the power using the volume of the line in? Is there an easy way to add (preferably high quality) volume control?
  • My speakers are 2x 100W @ 8 Ohm with a sensitivity at 86 DB, is this amplifier recommended or should I look at TK2050 amplifier?
  • Are there any benefits to be gained from replacing the connectors? I'll probably do it after a while anyway for the looks, but I would like to know.

I was also looking at the prebuilt Lepai but damm, that thing is ugly and the sound quality is probably a bit worse, right?

Thanks in advance!

I'd go for a more powerful amp, TA2020 has "13W @ 8 Ohms, 10% THD+N" not the 25w announced (well it's possible to get 25w, but with 4 Ohm speakers).

The Sure TK2050 is also discussed on the forum, it's not too much expensive, but as need more power you will need an expensive power supply.

I'd go for a more powerful amp, TA2020 has "13W @ 8 Ohms, 10% THD+N" not the 25w announced (well it's possible to get 25w, but with 4 Ohm speakers).

The Sure TK2050 is also discussed on the forum, it's not too much expensive, but as need more power you will need an expensive power supply.

Thank you, the TA2020 it will be then!

As for the power supply, how do you think the TA2020 will like a laptop power supply?

I found this and although it doesn't meet the specifications exactly I hope it will work (Probably only 96 usable watts with 90W at 80% efficiency).

Or do you have other recommendations where I could find a 24v PSU?

A TA2020 does not like anything above 14.6 volts! Mind you this is the absolute max, it is safer to stay well below this.
To me a 12 volt lead/acid battery is just about the best power-source for this Amp

another good option is something like this:

12V 2A wall mounted power supply for TA2024 amplifiers | eBay

I'm sorry. I made a mistake in my previous post. I was hoping to use that laptop power supply with the suggested TK2050, not the TA2024.

The TK2050 is supposed to run on a lot of different voltages but I'm having trouble finding a power supply for it that doesn't kill me in shipping costs (most on Ebay are 20-30 Dollar + 20 dollar shipping cost, more than the TK2050 itself :().

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.