Power two 4*100W TK2050 boards with a 900W computer PSU?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I would like to talk to you guys about an idea I got the other day. As the title suggest it's about powering two 4x100W Tk2050 with a 900W computer power supply and the reason I want to do that is that I would like to build in two TK2050 inside a HTPC. The partlist for the HTPC is the following:

Asus E45M1-I Deluxe
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC10666/1333MHz CL9 2x4GB
Hantol HPSU900V2.3 900W
Samsung SH-B123L
Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe
and two Sure Electronics Tk2050.

All this I'm planning on puting in a nice little chassi to power up my home theater speaker system. Taking the sound for every chanel from the sound cards 7.1 analog chanels with a minijack to 2*RCA through the amplifier and then out to the speaker. For the sub I was planning on just skiping the amplifier and take sub signal out from the sound card and the convert it to RCA and plug it in to the subwoofers amplifier.

So my questions are. Will it work? Will there be enough power? How much power can I expect from each chanel? and can I expect any good sound? Or will something I haven't thought of yet screw up the otherwise great sound from the tk2050-boards?

I think the issue is that computer PSUs really dont have a good matching -12 rail. Some can produce a high current 12V. So you either have 12/-12 running at the -12V current level (commonly just a few amps) or you run single rail, meaning you will get somewhere around 12W or so. I'd recommend using a power supply that can do -v/v of good voltage and good current.

Also I've heard when you put class D's in a computer chassis, it tend to interfere with the computers electronics. I ran into kinda the same boat when I had my 80watt solid state amp NEXT to my computer, the computer wouldnt even boot! I've had the same thought process before. I think the way to do it correctly is to house the amp in a thick metal chassis within the computer chassis to help shield the computer from the amps EMF. Also have to think what kind of noise and issues you might introduce into power lines of the PSU shared with the computer. Not saying it 100% wont work, but I think you'll be heading down a road of misery if things dont go just right.

Motoman thanks for the great reply! As you probably guessed I kind of lost interest when I realized it was so hard to complete. Not really worth the time and money I guess. However tonight when I was surfing around at ebay I found this.
FEIXIANG252B TA2021B 25W+25W Computer Sound Card Amplifier-EF2 | eBay
How would this amplifier work? Especially with all the booting problems that Mototman described? Is there any thread on this forum currently discussing this computer soundcard amplifier? I think it looks like an really cool idea and would like to here what you guys think about it? Has anyone tried anything similiar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.