New Sure IRS2092 IRFI4020H part # AA-AB32291

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dunno if anyone noticed but Sure Electronics has a new IRS2092 based amp. It's a 4020H design and is best for 8ohm loads.

I'm interested in a 4019H design because I'm concerned about loads at 4 ohm and I know the 4019H performs better in this regard. Also it's easier for me to source a 48V PSU than a 64V one.

Sure do you intend to release a variant using the 4019H MOSFET? I've heard from IRS2092 users that the 4019H also sounds better even though you have less power.

Also is that pot for Self-oscillating frequency or input gain? I would assume being two it's input gain... what is the switching frequency?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sure Electronics IRS2092/4020H AA-AB32291 Amp

Last edited:
I'm just a hobbyist and hack/layman and I don't have a proper lab with a scope. I would also have to change values on certain parts no? IE protection etc. I have the IR reference design sheets but I don't have schematic for this board. For 4R 4019H what other parts/values would I need to change?

Also the input stage has a lot less parts than the L15D of ljm's. Connexelectronics also has an IR amp and it looks like it has more MOSFETS in it's design and the 2092 is in a DIP. Has anyone done a comparative review on the IR2092 based amp modules available?

Last edited:
LOL

LOST IN TRANSLATION

I wish ljm_ljm followed the IR reference for protection circuits. Other than that I'm mostly leaning to L15D due to the better grounding I can do with it and ability to have odd channel counts in chassis. I want 4019 because my speakers will be 4ohm rated. Hasn't anyone really compared 4020 and 4019 MOSFETS driving 4ohm speakers? All the engineers I've spoke with who have worked with IRS2092 feel 4019 is better for 4R.

Opinions?

Last edited:
I'd love to see a Chinese clone or learnt design from this Teach/Essoteric I-03 ($12,000) receiver's IRS2092 module. It's a 3 parallel push-pull 6 MOSFET design.

8.jpg
<-- look at the tiny heatsinkage on the 4020Hs !!!

6.jpg

It has six MOSFETS and a nice looking custom solid core inductor. Is that device to the left of it another smaller inductor? Teac should sell those modules like B&O does ICE if it's decent enough. It's the first "high end" design house IRS2092 design I know of.

Last edited:
I just purchased this same amp module (Sure IRS2092). I intend to power it so that I get the maximum output of 100wpc into 8 ohms. My question is; Can I build a simple, well filtered linear PSU that will supply ~56VDC/rail to power this thing? Or, do Class D amps need to use a SMPS?

I'd love to see a Chinese clone or learnt design from this Teach/Essoteric I-03 ($12,000) receiver's IRS2092 module. It's a 3 parallel push-pull 6 MOSFET design.

8.jpg
<-- look at the tiny heatsinkage on the 4020Hs !!!

6.jpg

It has six MOSFETS and a nice looking custom solid core inductor. Is that device to the left of it another smaller inductor? Teac should sell those modules like B&O does ICE if it's decent enough. It's the first "high end" design house IRS2092 design I know of.

300W channel 8 Ohms... just 8000€ mmmm!
note the truly masive linear power supply
seems very High End...

. . . There are loads of irs2092 based pcbs on ebay.
I've noticed the bad quality 40Mhz Hi-Sincerity 2SD669AC second source fake hitachi device installed on the heatsinks of most ebay IRS2092 based boards. The Sure IRS2092 doesn't use the fake transistor. In the photograph of the Sure is a Toshiba specific 220 casing, such as used for 2SC5171. Can someone tell me what transistor they used?

4-way Active Speaker with IR 2092 Amp

I put together 2 IR 2092 amp board with a mini-dsp. Used a toroid AC 35-0-35 500VA power supply to get +/- 54V DC. Unit works and sound incredible. I will never need to drive this even to 20% of the rated power.

Attachments

• IMG_0669-2.jpg
    IMG_0669-2.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 1,328
Exasperating Ampifier

I have built a power amplifier incorporating the ‘Sure AA-AB32291 Ver.1.0’ amplifier module and it has been totally exasperating to say the least. A picture is posted. I used a 600 watt 40-0-40vac transformer with a 6 X 10K uF capacitors for +56-0-(-56) vdc. There is 0-12vac tap on the transformer that feeds 12vdc power regulator. The 12vdc is used to power the power indicator light and the LED VU meters. The VU meters monitor only the input signal. After he VU meters, the input signal is attenuated by a 50K potentiometer and then the input signal enters the module.

When you power this amplifier on, typically channel ‘b’ is dead, channel ‘a’ is working. Channel ‘a’ if the attenuator is wide open, there is a high pitched whine along with the music. If the attenuator is rolled back 25% (audio taper), the whine very abruptly disappears. If you leave attenuator on channel ‘b’ open and raise the volume on the preamp, at a certain point, channel ‘b’ comes to life very suddenly. There is no high pitched whine as there is channel ‘a’. The other annoying aspect of this amplifier is that it seems to run on the edge of thermal shut down. If the room gets warm, the amp will shut down. So it looks like a small internal fan is advised. But before I buy the fan, can anybody tell me how to: (1) Get rid of the high pitched whine. (2) Get channel ‘b’ working without blowing up the speaker.

When this module is working, the sound is quite acceptable.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Reminds me of the heartache I had when I first started with irs2092 based designs.

I had a whine and it turned out to be noise on the VCC. My regulator wasn't decoupled enough.

I also found I had problems with turn on/off pops thumps and siren type sounds.
IR said I had too much smoothing capacitors. So I put together a small PIC based circuit that holds the 2092 in reset when the VCC drops below 12 volts.

The 2092 is very fussy about pcb layout and decoupling.
The 2092 and the mosfets need very close decoupling.

I also had to fiddle with the over current setting resistors to stop resetting on high volumes.

I wanted to get to high powers so I used irfb4227's with gate driver transistor buffers.
The 2092 driver output is quite weak and just about manages to cope with a pair of irfb4019's.

Last edited:
While the spec sheet says 56 volts, I am not sure as my amp has a 56 volt (40vac-0-40vac transformer) supply and one channel does not want to start unless the preamp is turned way up, then it kicks in. Weird. I suspect the 56 volts is not enough to get the module started.

I have this board + Connex SMPS500QRv2 power supply (64V + & - in actual use). After a week of initial troubles, it's finally working AOK, and sound quality is excellent, as is the power. It's all running atop my desk right now; l am planning to house it in a nice aluminum case & bridge the amp's heatsink to the 8mm thick front panel for cooling.

Here's my issue: The voltage gain of this amp is 40 dB -- way too high for most home audio gear. I'd like to reduce it to around 26~30 dB. Anyone know how to do this?

This guy, Larry, talks of changing R7 from 3k to 6.2k on Sure AA-AB32321 version of the same amp, but it's not clear which one is R7 and whether AA-AB32291 uses the same input circuit? Larrys Corner: Class D Audio amplifier - IRS2092S

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.