Class D amp with weird speaker configuration?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an "impedance" question about how these guys handle things, I'm thinking about doing something that could do something to my 500watt glass D amp, on paper, the idea seems okay, but I just wanted to double check.

Lets first start off that I get my information from this site:
Series Parallel Speaker Impedance

If I have 4ohm amp.
its 500watts.
I want to hook up 6x 100watt speakers to it (under power the "tweeters actually" by a little bit)

If setup series+parallel setup with 4x 8ohm speakers, to give me a 8ohm load, as seen in this picture:
http://www.bcae1.com/images/gifs/spk4sp4.gif
(4x4ohm speakers=4ohm load **In the picture** I must assume 8x8ohm speakers=8ohm load **What I'm actually doing**)

Now if 8ohms won't work and I NEED it to be 4ohms...

~Question:~
Can I reduce it from 8ohms to 4ohms, **WITH** the above (series+parallel) by using an additional parallel configuration as seen in this picture?
http://www.bcae1.com/images/gifs/impspkpr.gif

So if the math would be right, it would be something like:
4x8ohm(series+parallel)=8ohm+2x8ohm(Parallel)=4ohm

**~~Real ballz of the question~~**
Guess what I'm asking here, is how well D class amps can handle this kind of screwing around with the impedance.

From my uneducated experience with Tripath amps, they're quite ignorant of the load attached to them. Class-D is pretty good at handling funny loads. At least w.r.t. overall control and such. Tripaths high frequency response are affected by load impedance, you might have issues, but there are topologies such as UcD that are simply unaffected in that respect.

I'd give it a go.

From my uneducated experience with Tripath amps, they're quite ignorant of the load attached to them. Class-D is pretty good at handling funny loads. At least w.r.t. overall control and such. Tripaths high frequency response are affected by load impedance, you might have issues, but there are topologies such as UcD that are simply unaffected in that respect.

I'd give it a go.

It seems fine on paper, just I'm thinking about how small this amp is (both in size and wattage) and can't help but feel I'd seriously mug something up if I atempted this... can anyone else see any reason why this wouldn't work?

Heres a picture of what I'm planning on doing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/charlie-sheen/speakers.jpg

I'm unsure as to if I should just hook up both the 2 xtras directly to the other 4, or from the amp itself, or if it even matters. Also wondering if i should be then connecting them with eachother, or each taking their own line from the amp itself (or the next speaker from the 4) Basicly wondering if I should use the first red/black to hook up the 5th speaker after the 4, then should I hookup the last 6th speaker with the green lines that are red/black from the 5the speaker? or should I also take it from the amp or the 4th speaker?

Just don't want to wire this wrong and loose out on a brand new amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.