Speakers under $100 for T-amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Efficiency wise for what they are actually they are not too bad for
small speakers to be used away from walls that still sound balanced.

Any small speaker with reasonably balanced bass isn't going to be better.

but FWIW if considering the $150 SP-BS41-LR, which has a high
average impedance, perhaps the $200 (with free shipping)
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair 250-711
is a better bet, as you don't need to buy stands.

2dB more efficient, more bass, and probably lower impedance.
(3dB more, and 45Hz vs 65Hz compared to $100 SP-BS21-LR)

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I haven't personally heard these but will be picking up a pair. Hard to go wrong at $29/pair.

These are touted all over the Parts-Express site; but I really haven't seen them reviewed elsewhere.

The Pioneers have turned up everywhere, including Stereophile.

Hi,

Well then you already know the sensible answer, the $100 Pioneers.
You can do better with used speakers, if you know what to look for.

rgds, sreten.

I'm just not sure if the Pioneer are efficient enough for the TA2024?

In my experience, a proper Tripath implementation will have an easy time driving speakers that are difficult for other amps. For instance, a pair of KEF speakers always sounded muddy with a NAD integrated receiver I had. When I tried a Tripath with the speakers, they sounded great! Not muddy anymore, but dynamic and quite clear. The NAD does well on simpler speakers, fullrangers etc.

When looking for a speaker to use with a Tripath, I go for highish efficiency, and the frequency response I want. This usually means a largish woofer. I've had GREAT luck with cheap speakers from Sony integrated stereos.

Last edited:
You responders do realize that the TA2024 is 15 WATTS/channel. Why are you recommending floor standing behemoths. That amp can't go over two (efficient) 6.5 inch woofers total. For that amp he needs the best efficient bookshelf out there.

>

hahaha. Please disregard the above statement. Those Pioneers look huge in the photo. They are actually 5.25 woofers. sorry.

>

Last edited:
Here is a kit with the Aurasound 6" woofers and Vifa titanium tweeter with crossovers already built.

$95 for the kit to build a pair, throw in $10 for input terminals and it gets close to your budget.

You'll have to build the boxes but this is DIY audio so... :smash:

Aurasound NS6 Speaker Kit - 4 ohm Woofer - Parts Only: Madisound Speaker Store

Quite efficient at 90dB at one watt so have the ability to use the most of that 15 watts at 4 ohms. Madisound states that it can be tuned to 65Hz in a .45 cubic foot box so the speakers won't be too large. Granted, if you make them larger you can drop the tuning even lower.

The Sten II is a larger version using two of the Aurasound drivers, the kit price is higher (of course) but would really work great on a desk, next to a wall etc $139 + $10 for input terminals (and you have to build a bigger box)

Curt's Sten II MTM Speaker Kit - Pair: Madisound Speaker Store

You responders do realize that the TA2024 is 15 WATTS/channel. Why are you recommending floor standing behemoths. That amp can't go over two (efficient) 6.5 inch woofers total. For that amp he needs the best efficient bookshelf out there.

>

hahaha. Please disregard the above statement. Those Pioneers look huge in the photo. They are actually 5.25 woofers. sorry.

>

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the bigger the drivers the better for a Tripath. They're somewhat challenged in maximum watts, so requiring highish sensitivity, but control and dynamics are very good to the point of clipping. Therefore, big drivers are ideal for these amps - higher sensitivity from high surface area, and they still are able to maintain control even with complex crossovers and difficult loads. However, not all large-driver floorstanders are high efficiency - there are two schools it seems - big speakers that need big power, and big speakers that do lots with little power because of driver surface area. The latter school fits very well to Tripath amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.