Class D chipset choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From a chipset perspective, is there any sonically-equal alternatives than Tripath?

I'm putting together a 6 channel AV amp at the moment and lookign for something which is:
- easily obtainable (some tripaths are becoming a pain in the backside to find, and/or getting very expensive)
- reasonably simple circuit (6 channels on a single PCB dictates this)
- reasonable power (~40w into 4 ohms or there abouts)
- don't mind SMD, but need to avoid painful packages as I'll be hand-soldering

I've been sniffing around the IRS2092 - certainly fits the bill, but the external circuitry is quite complex. Anyone any experience of the TDA / TAS offerings?

cheers

Mat

Really? what part? I didn't find it hard at all
On the grand scheme of things, it's not rocket science. However, a quick count-up in the IRAUDAMP7 schematic shows 65 components per channel. Multiply that by 6 to gives 390 components, add another 23 from the protection schematic, then add another 10 or so for power conversion. Thats 423 components all to be hand-soldered on a board. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't want to create extra work for myself unless there is justification to use the IRS amp over something potentially simpler.

Looking to do my own PCB rather than buying in ready-made pcb purely for space and heat sinking requirements with the 6 channels.

thanks

Mat

p.s. looking into the TDA8920 part now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.