Class D amp repair in England / London (Flying Mole DAD M100 Pro HT)? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Class D amp repair in England / London (Flying Mole DAD M100 Pro HT)?

Hi,

I have 2 DAD M100 Pro HT class D monoblock amps. One of them has now developed a fault: it distorts quite severely, with more distortion the higher the input level.

Flying Mole are no longer in business, so I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations as to who would be able to repair it. I am based in London. Many thanks in advance.
Old 6th December 2011, 06:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

BUMP - fraid I'm still not having any luck on this, despite having put out a number of feelers. Any thoughts?
Old 24th April 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have the exact same problem with the Moles.I wrote to PMC- they want to sell me the upgraded amps but they cost more than I originally paid for the speakers. If anyone has any leads (I'm in New York) I'd appreciate a post as well. In the meantime I'm looking at classDaudio amps, but i hate the idea of that right-angle Speakon connector dangling down the back of my TBII-A for all time.
Cheers,
Brookwood
Old 4th May 2012, 05:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in on this one. I too am in NYC (Brooklyn) and I bought the DB1S-AII's in 2010 which shipped with the upgraded PMC-manufactured DS-001 amp. I immediately experienced issues with the amps occasionally emitting a loud distortion sound from time to time, and subsequently began 2 months worth of horsing around with returns. I went through 3 cycles of combination amp and speaker swap outs (although it was obviously the amp at fault), made worse by the fact that the monitors were relatively new at the time and supply was limited, with delayed shipping from the UK. Finally I ended up with a working set...which lasted for about 18 months, at which point one of the monitors began emitting the distortion "wave" when it would overheat, while the other monitor quit altogether, with a steady "blip" sound when turned on. Contacted PMC to engage a repair and discovered:
a) the warranty is 12 months
b) PMC do not have US-based repair facilities, therefor any repairs would have to be done out of England (with shipping and parts/labour, at my expense)

Given that PMC have only just begun manufacturing their own amps, it seems possible that the issues I experienced could be due to their infancy in this space. I have read of a few other cases of DS-001 issues on the Internet, but not sure if the problem is widespread. Either way, I am at a crux. I don't want to invest any more cash in new DS-001's (which will run $1K), given the problems I ran into (8 bad amplifiers!) and PMC's lack of engineering/repair presence in the States, and not sure I want to look at used Flying Mole DAD M100, given that these are starting to crap out on users too. I LOVE the sound of these monitors and an integral part of the sound is the DS-001. What other options do I have? Like the previous post, I too yearn to have a tidy speakon connector on the back of my PMC's...
Old 4th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would recommend asking on speakerplans.com which is a predominantly UK forum all about 'pro-audio' & if there is anybody in the UK who can help you out it's almost guaranteed that somebody on speakerplans will know them!

(Not wanting to hijack discussion & promote other forums, just trying to help out!).
Old 25th July 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default PMCs and moles, rooting round the dustbin...

Finding out the hard way that having PMC/ Moles is like owning a Ferrarri with a faulty transmission.
Really disappointing response from PMC, eh? They had wanted me to go that new amp route as well. There but for the grace of God, and all that...
Anyway, I finally found a a pair of DAD-M100 Pro BI Moles through an expediter at a Japanese auction site. PM me for details if you wish as I don't to seem a spammer.
Possibly good news for DIYers: there are still some Roland-branded Flying Mole OEM circuit boards floating around Japan for a very reasonable price. Class D monoblock, 160 watts into 4 Ohms, 100w into 8, they sound fierce. Just add connectors, but there is the 100 volt issue, and the procurement hassles, hmmm... They were apparently used there for Karaoke installations, and DIYers there call them "Black Moles".
Here are some pics of the differences between the OEMs and the full DAD-M100 Pro build if you are looking to replace a faulty Mole- seems some circuitry has been removed and the topology bypassed:

Roland OEM Flying Mole board:
ishiishi720-img567x378-1324461611sjtnx897283edit.jpg

PMC/Flying Mole DAD-M100 pro BI guts:
PMC Mole 1.jpg

Underside showing bypass zone:
PMC Mole 2.jpg

Detail:
PMC Mole 2 detail.jpg

Unfortunately there is epoxy-dippage, so we may never know what's really going on with the circuits for repairs.
Old 7th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
gsdk is offline gsdk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

My AMP broke down two weeks ago. The exchange price is too hi, so I decided to buy an used Bryston Amp instead. For a company - PMC - which like to be ranked as hi-end this is just not good enough! The exchange plan should be much more competitive.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I usually find the mosfets blow on class d amps.
However I usually change the mosfets and the class d IC just so I don't blow up a new set of mosfets if the IC has gone as well.

Given the amps keep blowing up then it sounds like a design fault.

Best thing to do is try and find out what the design fault is and fix it or dump the lot in a bin and buy a different make.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
gsdk is offline gsdk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

That's what I did - the Bryston Amp arrived today. Now I have a spare Flying Mole for the PMC TB2A in case someone should be interested.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Should have bought ClassDaudio instead!

Hide this!Advertise here!