Ta2020 in smallest enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had this idea to mount a ta2020+ps in the middle of two Ikea bowls to make a ceiling hanging speaker. Unfortunately it created a little too much heat, so I didn't think it would be very safe.

My new idea is to create a enclosure, mount that to the ceiling, and hang the speaker from the enclosure.

Any ideas on a nice enclosure? Also I have a PS from Arje Helder. It seems quite big... Aren't there any smaller alternatives?

I have ordered something like 8 of those during the past year. They are absolutely great, and only require a tiny heatsink (not included in the kit). It is based on the TA2021B, not 2020, but I think it might even give a bit more undistorted Watts from a given voltage than the 2020.

This will be more than enough. What may happen though is the following. The adapter is grounded. I had it that when connected to my PC - also grounded to the same earth - a ground loop occured (switching noise on it). By removing the earth tap from the adapter by twisting it with a pair of pliers, this problem can be solved, might the same happen to you.

vac

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
TA2020 = TA2024 but in a better casing. So if heat is a problem TA2024 won't help much. At least a heatsink can be attached to TA2020 (hence the slightly higher output wattage).

Indeed PE can be a problem when a switching power supply is used. Those are always connected to PE for safety and EMI reasons as they can put out a lot of RF/HF garbage. This EMI garbage will be led to PE so it can't go on a trip via the mains cabling. If you mount the amp in a metal enclosure with both amp PCB and power supply on the same metal chassis it will cause audio-GND to be connected to PE. This is a ground loop. To make thing slightly worse most manufacturers have the mounting holes connect to audio GND (why not isolated ?) so mounting an amp PCB by metal mounting studs and metal M3 bolts will mean that the amps audio-GND will be connected to the chassis automatically. We don't want to connect audio GND to PE anyway so the solution is to separate audio GND and PE.

This can, for example, be done by mounting the switching power supply on isolated mounting studs. Please leave PE connected for safety. Removing PE will also cause the EMI components to hang in the air thus the switcher will pollute the mains voltage and so the amps voltage too. It is very unclever and unsafe to remove PE from switchers !!! Either do things right or don't do them at all.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.