Build simple Class D gutiar amplifier (160W)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I wish to build a simple Half-Bridge Class D electric guitar amplifier of 160W power.

The only part of the project that i will design and build myself is the offline SMPS power supply.

I am aiming for +/-40V output at 2A.

I am thinking that is OK for a typical 8 Ohm speaker.(?)

I wish to simply buy in all the rest as kits and put them together.

So i will buy the Class D amplifier and the pre-amp, and simply connect them to the output of my SMPS.

Please could you tell me.....are these the building blocks that i need....?.....

1.....Magnetic pickup (already on electric guitar) (?)
2....Pre-amp.
3.....Class D amplifier
4.....Speaker.

Have i missed something and can you tell me where i can buy the above?

Without preamp & speaker which are designed for guitar use, the amp will not sound like a guitar amp. Most PA or hifi preamp & speaker are OK for keyboard amp or bass amp for some extent but certainly not OK to be connected directly to guitar. I've seen many Class D keyboard & bass amp, but haven't seen any Class-D guitar amp.

If you want to use PA or hifi amp & speaker, it is mandatory to have a guitar amp & speaker simulator like Line6 PODs or Tech 21 Sansamp pedals. The simulator will mimic the character of certain famous guitar amp & cabinet. While PODs can give zillion of digitally simulated amplifier type along with effects pedal simulation, Sansamp will give a very good analog amp simulation but for very limited amplifier type (like Fender, Marshall, Mesa & Vox tone only) and only overdrive/distortion effect. My simulator of choice is Sansamp GT2, go to tonepad -- a resource for d.i.y. music projects if you want to build one.

If it's for bass guitar, you don't really need simulator but you'll need a compressor before / after the preamp.

And I guess, 2A will not be enough to output 160W.

One thing I'll add: Guitar amp speakers tend to be quite efficient. I've got a '71 Fender Princeton Reverb that's capable of 'only' 15 watts, but when it's turned up to the point of compressing the output tubes, it'll make your ears ring if you're playing it indoors.

I'd almost suggest designing for a given dB level instead of a wattage, and take your speaker selection into consideration.

edit: Also... hit up a guitar store and play around for a while. Get an idea of what's out there, and what you want. Go from there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.