Throw those bad soldering tips away ! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2011, 01:59 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Depends on the type of solder you use (with or without lead) but I generally solder @ 390C with leaded solder (type S-Sn62Pb36Ag2)
Old 15th November 2011, 02:06 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

After using a 25W dumb iron for many years, I guess I got used to soldering HOT. Now that I have a good iron I usually have it set to 680F and that still seems slightly cooler than the dumb iron used to run. Only reason I don't go higher is that the tip oxidizes too fast.
Old 15th November 2011, 02:09 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
Depends on the type of solder you use (with or without lead) but I generally solder @ 390C with leaded solder (type S-Sn62Pb36Ag2)
Ah good, I thought I was running hotter than most people @ 360C. Now I might have to crank it up a little more.
Old 15th November 2011, 03:16 PM   #24
kubeek is offline kubeek  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to kubeek
Any recommendations on Solomon soldering stations?
Old 18th November 2011, 07:01 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
Ah good, I thought I was running hotter than most people @ 360C. Now I might have to crank it up a little more.
You want it as hot as necessary to get good quick heat with good flow in less than 3 seconds, but no hotter. If 360 works for you no need to go higher. Hakko has some excellent PDF guides at their website(s) that apply to any iron and solder formula. Well worth reading.

You can file the cheap tips but good tips (eg Hakko) should never be filed. Refer to your iron mfgr's instructions.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 18th November 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 18th November 2011, 07:28 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
You can file the cheap tips but good tips (eg Hakko) should never be filed. Refer to your iron mfgr's instructions.
My tip filing days are over. My GOOT iron is compatible with Hakko tips and I bought a bunch in advance not knowing how long they would last. Needless to say, I now have a lifetime supply.
Old 18th November 2011, 07:49 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Ersa Icon IC1100-A 150W temp controlled.

Best money ever spent. I use it for thru-hole, large class SMD and heavy guage wire soldering - no problem.

450șC is the way forwards! The Ersa has a 250șc standby mode to stop oxidation, I advise you find one that does the same. Provided you have a good technique (fast and reliable), there is no problem using the hotter iron.

Ps. Low temps are for wimps

Last edited by zerokelvin99; 18th November 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 19th November 2011, 02:58 PM   #28
Tiroler is offline Tiroler  Austria
diyAudio Member

This is what I prefer, works absolutely great CD****soldering station - JBC Soldering and rework tools for electronics
Old 21st November 2011, 07:49 AM   #29
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
Love my Hakko, but remember that tips are a consumable item. They last way longer if you get in the habit of reducing the heat between operations. It only takes a few seconds to come back up to temperature when you need it. Somewhere I saw a chart of tip life vs temperature, and it's a real eye opener. Something else that takes its toll is if you do a lot of service and use the tip to pry up bent over component leads. If all you do is build new boards, the Hakko tips last near to forever.
hmmm, I usually turn the iron down if i'm going to be more than a minute too, but i've actually been told that this lessens the life of the tips due to thermal cycling/shock
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:00 PM   #30
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Heads up Black Friday alert, Parts-Express is blowing out the Stahl TCSS Temp controlled soldering station for $35 now thru 11/25/11

Stahl Tools TCSS Temp Controlled Soldering Station ESD Safe 374-200

Hide this!Advertise here!