First attempt at making a boombox - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2011, 03:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First attempt at making a boombox

Hi,

Im just starting to make my first boombox, I am a motorsport engineer and university dj so know a moderate amount about this field but still have some questions. I have been studying the threads about other members boomboxs and they have really helped but im still stuck in a few places and if you could help me that would be great.

I am unsure on which speakers would be best to use, either pa speakers such as these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LTC-Passive-...0418172&sr=8-4

or hifi speakers such as these:http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products...B/Default.aspx

From threads like saturnus' boominator thread i have decided to go with the amp6basic kit as it seems tried and tested and similar batteries to the ones he has used however i am slightly confused to whether these will allow me to be able to run the boombox when plugged into the ac mains when at home as well as used outside as a portable speaker?

Thank you for your help,

John
Old 6th November 2011, 12:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsharpe View Post
Hi,

Im just starting to make my first boombox, I am a motorsport engineer and university dj so know a moderate amount about this field but still have some questions. I have been studying the threads about other members boomboxs and they have really helped but im still stuck in a few places and if you could help me that would be great.

I am unsure on which speakers would be best to use, either pa speakers such as these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LTC-Passive-...0418172&sr=8-4

or hifi speakers such as these:http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products...B/Default.aspx

From threads like saturnus' boominator thread i have decided to go with the amp6basic kit as it seems tried and tested and similar batteries to the ones he has used however i am slightly confused to whether these will allow me to be able to run the boombox when plugged into the ac mains when at home as well as used outside as a portable speaker?

Thank you for your help,

John

You will need a AC-DC power supply and way to switch from battery to the wall wart.
Pa speakers should be louder at the expense of lower bass notes, most DIY boom boxes use raw drivers rather than the prefab boxes in your links.
Old 7th November 2011, 01:08 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

have not followed your thread, but those woofers are all with none of the specs needed to calculate a box
Old 7th November 2011, 02:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

yh i noticed this but struggling to find any where to buy raw drivers from in the UK as almost everything is sold prefabbed, if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
Old 7th November 2011, 02:36 AM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsharpe View Post
... if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
my 'boombox' would have ONE woofer, two midrange and tweetes
Old 7th November 2011, 05:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Why do you need to buy them from the UK? Just buy them from European resellers instead. Usually is roughly the same shipping cost anyways, and since the UK is on paper at least if not in spirit part of the EU you have exactly the same costumer protection as if you bought it from a domestic reseller.
Old 8th November 2011, 03:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You can easily get monacor speakers in the uk, from blue aran or DFB warehouse. About half of them have the specs required to build the box.

Or you can buy a couple of drivers and experiment.
Old 8th November 2011, 08:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

As mentioned already, Blue Aran are a good source of PA drivers in the UK. I bought the Fane drivers for my new boombox from them. They also sell lots of other 'cabinet building' supplies that might be useful for your boombox, like reinforced corners, feet, etc.

Often when a website selling a driver doesn't tell you the values you need to calculate an enclosure, you just need to go to the website of the manufacturer of the driver (eg. Fane or whoever) where they will have the numbers you need.

Hide this!Advertise here!