Which class D amp sounds closest to a SET amp while driving full rangers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just started getting interested in high efficiency full range speakers. I have a few tripath amps. After testing out with my valve amp, I think I still like my valve amp more. The tripath amps that I find closest sounding to my valve amp is based on same chipset as original sonic impact. I have tried the virtue one, but I find the voice too thin. I reckon it has to do with damping factor more than anything else. So I am wondering if anybody out there has gone through a whole bunch of amps compared against a good SET on a pair of lowthers or the like and see which one sounds the most similar...

Thanking all in advance...
Oon

Hello, could you please explain how to connect the resistor and what are the specs of the resistor????

You just series connect it on the plus or minus terminal somewhere between the amp and the speaker. Only important spec is the power handling capacity of the resistor which should be:

Rp = P * (R / Z)

Where

Rp is power handling specification of the series resistor in watts
P is the Wrms output of the amp
R is resistance value
Z is nominal impedance of the speaker.

You just series connect it on the plus or minus terminal somewhere between the amp and the speaker. Only important spec is the power handling capacity of the resistor which should be:

Rp = P * (R / Z)

Where

Rp is power handling specification of the series resistor in watts
P is the Wrms output of the amp
R is resistance value
Z is nominal impedance of the speaker.

Muchas Gracias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.