A/B testing board for high power amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A buddy of mine manufactures ClassD amps. He wants to compare 3 different modules and asked if I would build a board that will A/B/C them.
The idea is obvious: 12 relays with 4 per circuit of which 2 go to each module/speaker.
I dont want to have huge pops when the relays clap together as we will probably be listening at high volume and there will be significant voltage/current potential.
Should I solve the problem with a cap from + to - of the amp output/speaker input? This would be a bit like when we put a cap across the on/off switch to remove popping. Well, visualizing it now.. with cap on on/off switch its not from + to - its just from one side of the contact to the other, so perhaps I should approach it that way.
Question is.. What value cap should I use? What rating would you suggest as these amps have kilowatt capabilities?
Thanks guys/gals
Uriah

You may want to think about using the relays to mute the inputs and put an 8 ohm load on the outputs of the amplifiers which are not feeding the speakers.
When selected, the amplifier input would un-mute and the output would be disconnected from the load resistor and connected to the speaker.
With no audio going through the amplifier, the output load resistors could be quite small.

The same relay which switches the output can also mute and un-mute the input.
No delay at all.
The only other option would be to put a BIG load resistor on the output of each channel of the amplifiers which are not selected to feed the speaker.
I don't think that a capacitor on the output will provide the proper loading. Worse case would be a tuned circuit at certain frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.