DIY 12v trigger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it doesn't matter what kind of amp it is.... get a relay with a 12v coil and contacts rated for whatever your power requirements are. If you have a line powered amp, just get a relay with ac contacts rated for whatever your line voltage is and a minimum of the rated current of the amp. connect the contacts across the power switch, and your 12v signal will switch it on.

Why not contact Vincent and see if they can provide a module to retrofit your amp. Or a service manual or schematic that shows what is different with your version.

Otherwise, a small relay may be all you need; it sounds like the power switch is momentary contact (like the power switch on an ATX computer) and only switches a small current. Perhaps if you look inside, you'll see a place on a circuit board to add a relay or maybe an optocoupler and associated components.

If what you are after is something that will turn on other equipment when you turn on your preamp, you can do this:

Purchase a relay that has a coil rated for your country's AC voltage. Here in the states it is 120VAC. The relay should be rated to switch 10A of current at 120VAC/240VAC. You will need to connect the coil up in parallel to the AC power switch for the preamp (connect it after the preamp's switch), and run a wire out of the preamp to the relay. Put the relay inside an insulated box. Add a power cord to the box that will supply power to the relay contacts. Also add a receptacle to the box, that you can plug other equipment in to. Connect the relay contacts in between the power cord and a receptacle. The relay can be SPST type, as along as you can identify the "hot" lead of your AC power, otherwise use a DPST or DPDT relay and switch both "hot" and "neutral" leads.

This is not a "12V trigger" like you mentioned in your post. That refers to something that uses a 12V DC signal to turn on a relay outside the equipment.

I just created a remote switched AC outlet in this way. My preamp had a 5VDC trigger output connection on it already, so I used a solid state relay with a 3-30V DC coil. Now I can turn on my other stuff when I switch on the preamp. Nice!

-Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.