what's the difference between SMPS and toroid +supply HG - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default what's the difference between SMPS and toroid +supply HG

I've looked alot on hypex web site and I see that there are two posibilities to power 2 Ucd 180

first by using 1 Transformer TR180 (toroidal) + UcD supply HG - about 250 euros both
second by using 1 SMPS400A180 (it also is enough for 2ucd180) - about 140 euro

What is the difference between them?

I'm looking for 0 noise (heard not measured) when the amplyfier is powered up and volumed up to let's say 1 watt. My Technics su-vx720 has an anoying little noise, when nothing is playing.

Also I'd like a more portable amplyfier, something smaller, and SMPS400A180, is smaller, than the toroid and Hg supply, so does it worth to pay "almost" double, and make a bigger case?
Old 30th August 2011, 11:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terteliu View Post
I've looked alot on hypex web site and I see that there are two posibilities to power 2 Ucd 180

first by using 1 Transformer TR180 (toroidal) + UcD supply HG - about 250 euros both
second by using 1 SMPS400A180 (it also is enough for 2ucd180) - about 140 euro

What is the difference between them?

I'm looking for 0 noise (heard not measured) when the amplyfier is powered up and volumed up to let's say 1 watt. My Technics su-vx720 has an anoying little noise, when nothing is playing.

Also I'd like a more portable amplyfier, something smaller, and SMPS400A180, is smaller, than the toroid and Hg supply, so does it worth to pay "almost" double, and make a bigger case?
The toroid supply is a linear supply that uses a toroidal rather that E/I core transformer. It is comparatively large and inefficient relative to the switcher but not at all a problem. The switcher might include power factor correction and be 'universal' meaning 90-250 Volts and 50/60Hz without any user selections. The linear supply won't do that but likely includes manual 120/240 switching. DON'T RUN 240 INTO 120 as it often destroys the transformer. You're more likely to run into high frequency noise with the switcher but it can usually be solved.

G
Old 31st August 2011, 08:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I see that the TR180 has 3 secondarys:

2 - 30V
1 - 13v

The Hg supply has a 12V auxiliary imput, but I don't know what's the curent in it. How much power VA should have the transformer on this output? I wouldn't like to destroy the amplifyer.
The rest till 160VA will be split into half to the other 2 secondarys. I'm going to get a custom made toroidal transformer at a company specialized in this, the price is about 25 euro.

By using a HG supply and a transformer, will the sistem make a sound at startup, like a big buff? Does it need a delayed start?
Old 31st August 2011, 08:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Analogue power supplies (toroid etc) are much more reliable, likely to last a long time.
All SMPS's are time bombs, they will ALL blow up eventually, anything from 2 to 20 years.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just now I've seen that the secondary is AC not DC , but it's ok, I'm collecting data
Old 31st August 2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Javin5 is offline Javin5  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terteliu View Post
By using a HG supply and a transformer, will the sistem make a sound at startup, like a big buff? Does it need a delayed start?
No sound, no thump, neither when switching the amp on or off. This is my experience with a HG supply and UcD180. And in my system, there is no hiss or hum, even if I put my ear close to the speaker. If you hear anything, it comes from your preamp.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:24 PM   #7
thejohn is offline thejohn  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I've only tried UCD400 with SMPS400 and this has probably the least background noise of any amp I've ever owned! Powering it up the first time I thought it was broken.... no thurn on noise, no hiss, nothing. This is with Altec 604s, 4Pi's and my 15" Tannoys - all 97-100dB/w/m.... Very impressive!

If the SMPS is a timebomb, then I guess the amp is too since it's made of the same stuff! I can live with that!
Old 1st September 2011, 03:39 PM   #8
ssanmor is offline ssanmor  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All SMPS's are time bombs, they will ALL blow up eventually, anything from 2 to 20 years.
Are linear PSUs with their semiconductors and electrolytic capacitors eternal and I didn't know?

Todays' well designed SMPS have a very, very low MTBF, so in my opinion this is no longer a factor, not to speak about other obvious advantages, lower noise in the audio output among them.
Old 1st September 2011, 04:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanmor View Post
Todays' well designed SMPS have a very, very low MTBF, so in my opinion this is no longer a factor, .
That would be higher MTBF we might hope.
Old 1st September 2011, 05:22 PM   #10
ssanmor is offline ssanmor  Spain
diyAudio Member

Oooops! of course. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!