what's the difference between SMPS and toroid +supply HG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've looked alot on hypex web site and I see that there are two posibilities to power 2 Ucd 180

first by using 1 Transformer TR180 (toroidal) + UcD supply HG - about 250 euros both
second by using 1 SMPS400A180 (it also is enough for 2ucd180) - about 140 euro

What is the difference between them?

I'm looking for 0 noise (heard not measured) when the amplyfier is powered up and volumed up to let's say 1 watt. My Technics su-vx720 has an anoying little noise, when nothing is playing.

Also I'd like a more portable amplyfier, something smaller, and SMPS400A180, is smaller, than the toroid and Hg supply, so does it worth to pay "almost" double, and make a bigger case?

I've looked alot on hypex web site and I see that there are two posibilities to power 2 Ucd 180

first by using 1 Transformer TR180 (toroidal) + UcD supply HG - about 250 euros both
second by using 1 SMPS400A180 (it also is enough for 2ucd180) - about 140 euro

What is the difference between them?

I'm looking for 0 noise (heard not measured) when the amplyfier is powered up and volumed up to let's say 1 watt. My Technics su-vx720 has an anoying little noise, when nothing is playing.

Also I'd like a more portable amplyfier, something smaller, and SMPS400A180, is smaller, than the toroid and Hg supply, so does it worth to pay "almost" double, and make a bigger case?

The toroid supply is a linear supply that uses a toroidal rather that E/I core transformer. It is comparatively large and inefficient relative to the switcher but not at all a problem. The switcher might include power factor correction and be 'universal' meaning 90-250 Volts and 50/60Hz without any user selections. The linear supply won't do that but likely includes manual 120/240 switching. DON'T RUN 240 INTO 120 as it often destroys the transformer. You're more likely to run into high frequency noise with the switcher but it can usually be solved.

I see that the TR180 has 3 secondarys:

2 - 30V
1 - 13v

The Hg supply has a 12V auxiliary imput, but I don't know what's the curent in it. How much power VA should have the transformer on this output? I wouldn't like to destroy the amplifyer.
The rest till 160VA will be split into half to the other 2 secondarys. I'm going to get a custom made toroidal transformer at a company specialized in this, the price is about 25 euro.

By using a HG supply and a transformer, will the sistem make a sound at startup, like a big buff? Does it need a delayed start?

By using a HG supply and a transformer, will the sistem make a sound at startup, like a big buff? Does it need a delayed start?

No sound, no thump, neither when switching the amp on or off. This is my experience with a HG supply and UcD180. And in my system, there is no hiss or hum, even if I put my ear close to the speaker. If you hear anything, it comes from your preamp.

I've only tried UCD400 with SMPS400 and this has probably the least background noise of any amp I've ever owned! Powering it up the first time I thought it was broken.... no thurn on noise, no hiss, nothing. This is with Altec 604s, 4Pi's and my 15" Tannoys - all 97-100dB/w/m.... Very impressive!

If the SMPS is a timebomb, then I guess the amp is too since it's made of the same stuff! I can live with that!

All SMPS's are time bombs, they will ALL blow up eventually, anything from 2 to 20 years.

Are linear PSUs with their semiconductors and electrolytic capacitors eternal and I didn't know?

Todays' well designed SMPS have a very, very low MTBF, so in my opinion this is no longer a factor, not to speak about other obvious advantages, lower noise in the audio output among them.

Of course no electrolytics are eternal, but in a linear supply their failure generally only causes higher ripple and are easy to replace restoring normal operation.
In a SMPS when they expire they generally cause lots of mayhem and blown silicon.
Well designed SMPS will have a longer MTBF but how many are well designed?, and even the good ones self destruct eventually.
The power converters now in use for PV cell power generation are all SMPS and some suppliers of these systems already recognise the problem and contract to replace the converters after a given time span.
Perhaps some nice kind person could send me a replacement for the horrid little SMPS that has gone bang and won't come back to life, from a Philips DVD963SA?

Hi, it seems you are talking about the very low quality SMPS used in "cheap" consumer equipment. In fact they do fail a lot, I have personally suffered the same problem in at least three DVD players. These products are highly cost-driven and their manufacturers skimp in component quality and design quality a lot, so it is not strange that they fail after a short time. Also, you can look at it as "programmed obsolescence".

I can assure that well designed SMPS using good quality components are very different. With no intention to be pretentious, for example, our coldamp PSUs are used in military applications for 5+ years of continous usage in extreme conditions with no failures. And we are talking about 4x1KW units not small 10W converters like the one you are talking about. Note that these 1KW units are the same that we sell for audio applications, no special components or custom design here.

Hi, yes I accept that milspec units will be much better and careful design can make a huge difference, but most SMPS's are not of that ilk. And these 'consumer' grade types are everywhere, computers, flat screen TV's as well as audio gear.
It's great to hear that you supply top quality gear for HiFi use but you are definitly in the minority.

Thanks, but although this may run against our interests, I am sure that we are not an exception and that there are some other SMPS manufacturers for audio applications that produce units with good reliability, nothing to do with mass-market consumer crap.
So IMHO we shouldn't make general claims against a particular type of technology basing on experiences with particular products of a lower quality level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.