Helder Hi Fi TA2020 MKII turns off music - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2011, 01:57 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I have several t-amps, Helder's stuff is very good, I have all his amps except the monoamp.
Gychang: Do you have this OVERLOAD turn off problem ?

I want to figure out if the amp is faulty or if there is a fix to bypass the shut-off.

thanks.

>
Old 28th August 2011, 08:53 AM   #12
joe58 is offline joe58  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I have several t-amps, Helder's stuff is very good, I have all his amps except the monoamp.
I think that settles it. For 8 quid I can't go wrong. Edit: Sorry I sort of asked a few questions on your thread, I'll shut up now, so you can have your question answered. However on the ebay site it does say you can 'Contact them.' Maybe worth a shot?
Old 28th August 2011, 01:39 PM   #13
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnviera View Post
Gychang: Do you have this OVERLOAD turn off problem ?
sorry, can't help. I have not had any problems at all from his amps. I will estimate I had total of about 15 of his amps, all with excellent sound and without any problems.
Old 28th August 2011, 03:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I contacted Helder. He is really cool and prompt with his response. He said that a 12V 7Ah battery is not enough power. He said you need a solid 13.5 V power supply for this TA2020 MK2. Weird. The Helder TA2024, Lepai TA2020 and the Yuanjing TA2020 perform well in the same system with the same battery. He also said that he would try and find a solution for me. Great guy.

So far my solution is to put it in my car or my friends boat.
Old 29th August 2011, 01:45 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnviera View Post
He said that a 12V 7Ah battery is not enough power.
Sorry, but he sometimes writes totally b u l l * * i t . If you have high efficient speakers it is more than enough ...

Last edited by TheDealer; 29th August 2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: correction
Old 31st August 2011, 03:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Are you sure? The original TA2020 documents from Tripath clearly state a 13.5V requirement. SEE HERE: http://www.e-ele.net/DataSheet/TA2020.pdf

Not sure how the Lepai and the Yuanjing work fine. Maybe they sacrifice sound quality?

All I know is I am stuck looking for a 13.5V power supply and nobody here ever mentioned it before.

All you audiophiles highly recommended this amp and now it doesn't run on a 12V battery? Weak.

JV
Old 1st September 2011, 01:28 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

test it on a car battery,and see how loud it will play.if it is significantly better find a larger battery for it.
Old 31st January 2012, 04:23 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I ran into the same issue with the TA2020 MK II and III. Not enough power. I tried battery 12V/19AH and PC PSU (just for testing).

Now I have the TA2024 MK II in my ghetoblaster and I found it being as good as TA2020. Think that the THD is the same for the same output power. It is def easier to set up and run much longer on battery.

I did a few modifications on the TA2024: Replaced the input capacitors (Audiofiler + electrolytic in parallel) by a Epcos MKP 2.2uF. The capa's in the power section by Panasonic FM 680uF/50V and I unsoldered all terminals (input, speakers and power). It is a very good board to start with but I strongly recommend this full mod. Now I wonder if I'll change the inductors.

PS: I found the Audiofiler very bad in general (poor dynamic, poor resolution...) The original combination with 1uF parallel electrolytic to sparkle the highs, is just a very poor solution.
Old 17th August 2012, 05:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ArjenShenzhen
Default fixing issue with MKII amp switch off

Hi there, there is a fix for this isue ands its elatively simple, the unitswitches on at 13.5V because there is a delay circuit that reduces the switch on pop.

This can be bypassed by removing the transistor that feeds the mute line, and shorting it to ground. this connects the mute pin to GND, and that switches mute off, allowing voltages as low as 11 volts.

you have to remove Q01 and short R08 to GND ( the end that's connected straight to the IC )

Then the issue is solved.

Greetings,

Arjen Helder(HIFI)
Old 17th August 2012, 05:12 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ArjenShenzhen
Default picture

here is the picture of the mod, its really simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0206[1].jpg (550.2 KB, 188 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!