Helder Hi Fi TA2020 MKII turns off music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got my Helder TA2020 MKII in the mail. I hooked it up and double checked all the connections. Looks good. When I turn the music up a red light comes on and the music stops. I tried a new battery. Same thing.

It is not even that loud. My Helder TA2024 plays louder and never stops the music.

If this is a CLIP limiter, can I turn it off?

Thanks.

JV

Too weak power supply?
Small SMPS might also not like that large power supply capacitor.

edit:
Didn't notice you said you power it from a battery.
But if it plays on low volume but not on high, then I would quess it must be the power supply.

Last edited:
Joe 58: The TA2024 is a great little amp. Sounds great. Works well for small speakers (5 1/4 inches or less). Not the most powerful amp. I personally tested them on some 4 ohm 6 1/2 inch components and the Lepai and the Yuanjing TA2020 blow it out of the water. If you are looking for power do not get the Helder TA2024.

Joe58: There is a lot of people that talk crap out there. These amps are great out of the box. You don't need to mod them. That first link you posted is BS. This is what the Helder TA2024 I received looks like:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the second link: Little Kids Talking Nonsense. The Lepai TA2020 is an amazing amplifier. There is a lot of audiophile haters out there.

I contacted Helder. He is really cool and prompt with his response. He said that a 12V 7Ah battery is not enough power. He said you need a solid 13.5 V power supply for this TA2020 MK2. Weird. The Helder TA2024, Lepai TA2020 and the Yuanjing TA2020 perform well in the same system with the same battery. He also said that he would try and find a solution for me. Great guy.

So far my solution is to put it in my car or my friends boat.

Are you sure? The original TA2020 documents from Tripath clearly state a 13.5V requirement. SEE HERE: http://www.e-ele.net/DataSheet/TA2020.pdf

Not sure how the Lepai and the Yuanjing work fine. Maybe they sacrifice sound quality?

All I know is I am stuck looking for a 13.5V power supply and nobody here ever mentioned it before.

All you audiophiles highly recommended this amp and now it doesn't run on a 12V battery? Weak.

JV

I ran into the same issue with the TA2020 MK II and III. Not enough power. I tried battery 12V/19AH and PC PSU (just for testing).

Now I have the TA2024 MK II in my ghetoblaster and I found it being as good as TA2020. Think that the THD is the same for the same output power. It is def easier to set up and run much longer on battery.

I did a few modifications on the TA2024: Replaced the input capacitors (Audiofiler + electrolytic in parallel) by a Epcos MKP 2.2uF. The capa's in the power section by Panasonic FM 680uF/50V and I unsoldered all terminals (input, speakers and power). It is a very good board to start with but I strongly recommend this full mod. Now I wonder if I'll change the inductors.

PS: I found the Audiofiler very bad in general (poor dynamic, poor resolution...) The original combination with 1uF parallel electrolytic to sparkle the highs, is just a very poor solution.

fixing issue with MKII amp switch off

Hi there, there is a fix for this isue ands its elatively simple, the unitswitches on at 13.5V because there is a delay circuit that reduces the switch on pop.

This can be bypassed by removing the transistor that feeds the mute line, and shorting it to ground. this connects the mute pin to GND, and that switches mute off, allowing voltages as low as 11 volts.

you have to remove Q01 and short R08 to GND ( the end that's connected straight to the IC )

Then the issue is solved.

Greetings,

Arjen Helder(HIFI)

picture

here is the picture of the mod, its really simple.

Attachments

• IMG_0206[1].jpg
    IMG_0206[1].jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 275
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.