CLASS AB Amplifier Vs CLASS D Amplifier - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2012, 04:59 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golden mean View Post
I disagree, most people get headaches from listening to music through a class D amp!

Seriously, I still disagree to the categoric statement above and BTW its noting wrong to use a tube amp or vinyl records if you like it this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKTrout View Post
If you are getting a headache from listening to a class D amp, try a different amp or different headphones.

MrkTrout.
You are totally missing my ironic twist, please do not qoute in an inappropriate way....this should be clear if one goes back to the first few pages!

Last edited by The golden mean; 23rd July 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 28th January 2014, 05:51 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Well... very interesting discussion indeed.

I am in the process of building a small scale PA system for community cultural programs (small auditorium or large party room). I tried a 300W+300W TAS5630 based Class-D. I bought this from sure-hifi on ebay and powered with 50v dc from a toroid and I must say that the quality of sound is OK (read good) but not as good as an old Pioneer VSX815 which is a medium consumer grade home-theater receiver. A few years ago I had a Panasonic SA-XR55 (again a common consumer grade and inexpensive Class-D home-theater receiver) and it was very tiring to listen to music on that. We tend to say, "Can you please keep that volume down?". The speakers in both these cases were 8 Ohm Natalie-P (Parts Express/Dayton). You don't need golden ears to distinguish the difference as my hearing stops after about 15 kHz

So, for my own purpose I am going to use the Class-D for low frequency (below 1200Hz) on an active cross-over along with LM3886 chip-amp for high frequency.

In my experience Class-D is adequate for most purposes but not quite as good as my old 2N3055 based DIY amplifier (Class AB) built as published in an old Elektor. It is hard to convince that to an audience who says MP3 songs played on a tablet or ipod sound good enough!

Last edited by hanair; 28th January 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 28th January 2014, 06:27 PM   #143
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
What is the general magnitude of THD of a Class D at lets say 20kHz at rated power ?
Why would I care? I couldn't hear 20kHz. even if it was present on any of my source material, which it isn't, and I certainly couldn't hear any harmonics.

What Class D offers is what Class A offers . . . freedom from crossover distortion (which becomes increasingly noticeable and obnoxious at the lower power levels where amplifiers are operating most of the time). Some Class AB amps avoid it too . . . a notable example being the LM3886 . . . but too many don't, especially as bias "drifts" with time and temperature.
Old 28th January 2014, 06:33 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

nm
Old 29th January 2014, 06:10 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Why would I care? I couldn't hear 20kHz. even if it was present on any of my source material, which it isn't, and I certainly couldn't hear any harmonics.

What Class D offers is what Class A offers . . . freedom from crossover distortion (which becomes increasingly noticeable and obnoxious at the lower power levels where amplifiers are operating most of the time). Some Class AB amps avoid it too . . . a notable example being the LM3886 . . . but too many don't, especially as bias "drifts" with time and temperature.
AS a Lifelong Audiophile I find I am unable to listen to any Class D amplifier they make me feel ill and I have to turn them off even if hearing them in another room. Well designed Class AB amplifiers are excellent with no listening fatigue. Anyone not into High Fidelity could probably use a Class D amp but not me.

Hide this!Advertise here!