Distortion Tests - HifimeDIY T2 / LJM L20D / SURE TDA7498 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2011, 04:33 AM   #31
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Saturnus,

Thanks for your explanation. Perhaps my choice of the word 'different' was not good.

Unfortunately, when using compression drivers nearfield (~1.5m in my case), it really is important to get low noise amps. The Panasonic class D receiver I have been using is too noisy.

Old 25th August 2011, 05:02 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Anybody know what the PSRR of the L20D is?
Old 25th August 2011, 05:50 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb View Post
Saturnus,

Thanks for your explanation. Perhaps my choice of the word 'different' was not good.

Unfortunately, when using compression drivers nearfield (~1.5m in my case), it really is important to get low noise amps. The Panasonic class D receiver I have been using is too noisy.
And trevmar's explanation will strongly suggest there will be no noise at your listening position. He said he had to move the speakers closer than 5cm from his ear to hear anything at all. 5cm for his speakers equals 1.5m for your speakers.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:36 AM   #34
trevmar is offline trevmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb View Post
The Panasonic class D receiver I have been using is too noisy
Usually the preamplifier chain determines the overall noise level of a receiver. If the preamplifier is all-digital, then the preamplifier noise contribution drops to very low levels. That is why I chose to use a Mini-DSP for my "tone-controls" and digital volume control (the MiniDSP has a DC Potentiometer / ADC to set the output level). It is somewhat weird to be able to set up precise tonal compensation via my netbook, but it is also very effective. I don't have to do it very often, as flat sources and flat speakers mean most material sounds excellent without any shaping... If you use optical audio distribution (SPDIF) then you can buy digital switches to select among multiple inputs. I have been using an HDMI switch with SPDIF output, but am now switching to one with analog outputs (which handles AC3-WAV conversion internally).

ps: This is the switcher I use, it has both Toslink SPDIF and Analog outputs:
4X1 HDMI 1.3b Certified Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) w/ 3D support.
I use this device to convert my old DVD player to HDMI:
Component (YPbPr) & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter

Last edited by trevmar; 25th August 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: updated link
Old 26th August 2011, 11:32 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Pinout

Hello!, I'm sorry to use this tread but I don't know how to connect my new L20D ... The pinout on ebay page was not very clear... +70V to VCC+; -70V to VEE- and ground to PGND? The speaker + to OUT+ and speaker - to PGND?
Thank you a lot
max
Old 26th August 2011, 04:25 PM   #36
trevmar is offline trevmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Desibros,
I don't know what you read on the Ebay page, I always work out the connections by looking at the circuit board, and seeing where the contacts go. Looking from the top of the board, the order of pins the header block, from the end where is printed the "Voltage DC +-70V Output Power 250W 8R" is -V, Ground (zero for power supply and one side of speaker), Speaker active side, and +V

I hope that helps. If in doubt, you can check where the + and - go to the main bypass capacitors...
Old 28th August 2011, 01:17 PM   #37
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

trevmar thanks for your efforts, following this with interest.
Old 28th August 2011, 06:32 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevmar View Post
Desibros,
I don't know what you read on the Ebay page, I always work out the connections by looking at the circuit board, and seeing where the contacts go. Looking from the top of the board, the order of pins the header block, from the end where is printed the "Voltage DC +-70V Output Power 250W 8R" is -V, Ground (zero for power supply and one side of speaker), Speaker active side, and +V

I hope that helps. If in doubt, you can check where the + and - go to the main bypass capacitors...
Hello! thank you a lot the suggest was usefull!
Bye!!
max
Old 6th September 2011, 11:36 PM   #39
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

very interesting measures Trevmar

May I suggest you mention who's who on the graphs. I was very confused at firts to figure out which measure is for which amp
Old 7th September 2011, 01:00 AM   #40
Bernie7 is offline Bernie7  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
very interesting measures Trevmar

May I suggest you mention who's who on the graphs. I was very confused at firts to figure out which measure is for which amp
If you let the mouse pointer hover over each image for a sec, the title appears. But yeah, it can be easier to read.

Hide this!Advertise here!