Charging T-amp battery - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2011, 09:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Charging T-amp battery

I am designing a boombox around the ta2024 chip. I have a 12V 7Ah battery. When the battery runs out and I plug in the power supply to recharge, is there a way I could wire something (like an LED or something) to tell when it is fully charged?

Thanks.

John
Old 13th August 2011, 03:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Take a 14 V DC, 1 A powersupply. If you use a sealed lead acid there should be no issue to connect it persistent. That's what I was told in another forum. For the LED light I think you can take a transistor or a relais to switch it on charged voltage value.
Old 13th August 2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Pafi is offline Pafi  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Take a Stabilised! 14 V DC, 1 A powersupply.
Charged state indicator is a little problematic, voltage itself is not enough, it depends on current too. Charging can be indicated based on current. The simplest solution is a current driven relay (+LED +resistor), but it's not cheap nor easy to buy. A little more complicated, but cheaper solution is current sense resistor (0.1 ohm) + OPA (TL071) + LED + 3 other resistors.
Old 13th August 2011, 09:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Many SLAs have the standby and cycle voltages printed on the label. Does yours?
Here's the sort of thing I would suggest: TI UC3906 Linear Lead-Acid Battery Charger
Old 13th August 2011, 01:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks dudes. Looking into it.
Old 14th August 2011, 02:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I give up: http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-D2A-B.../dp/B000U0JCPO
Old 14th August 2011, 03:58 PM   #7
trevmar is offline trevmar  United States
diyAudio Member

The TA2024 chip is rated to only 13.2 volts typical operating conditions, 16V absolute maximum ratings. Use that Duracell charger at your own risk (and peril).
Old 14th August 2011, 04:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah I know. The charger costs more than the amp.
Old 25th August 2011, 02:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafi View Post
Take a Stabilised! 14 V DC, 1 A powersupply.
I own something like this. It's a SMPS and works fine with my 12 V SLAs BUT sadly the dimensions are too big to integrate it into my amp chassis.

What else I can do when I cannot find the same SMPS with smaller dimensions ? It is really hard to find SMPS with 14 V/1 A. This SMPS has the advantage to be connected persistent and safely for many days without overcharging the battery.
-----------------------------------
For Input voltages up to 40 V DC is the solution told here by member sofaspud:
Quote:
TI UC3906 Linear Lead-Acid Battery Charger
-----------------------------------
OR this charger was recommended in another forum: the PB137 from STMicroeletronics.

Which solution should be best ?
Old 25th August 2011, 06:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Did you purchase this item? It looks to me like a "2-amp constant DC output current" that will cook your 7A/h SLA. Use it wisely!!
OTOH, it also says, "Micro-processor controlled three-stage charging extends battery life" which might be almost exactly what you need - 1st stage of charging current, 2nd stage of top-off voltage, 3rd stage of float charge.
If you can employ a circuit that will sense the trigger from 2nd to 3rd stage, that signal could be used to light an LED.

@TheDealer
I'm unsure about using SMPS for SLA charging, because of the hash that may appear atop the DC. I'm not trying to sound an alarm, just stating that don't know, but it may have an effect. But anyhow, I think if it were me I would just install a jack on the amp back panel and not worry about having it inside the chassis.
There is a plethora of SLA charging ICs, with the best choice coming down to your own feature & cost reqiurements.

Hide this!Advertise here!