klipsch/Bash rw-10d amp broken. need guidance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2011, 10:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default klipsch/Bash rw-10d amp broken. need guidance

Hello, I would like some help tracking down the issue with this amp. Got it from a friend for free. He doesn't know how it stopped working. hehe. So I opened it up and visibly tracked down two torched resistors and one torched transistor on the Linear Board. The fuse is intact and not blown. I managed to find the schematics for the rw-10 (10d has a digital display for functions). The torched resistors are next to the linear board CD- And according to the schematics this should be recieving 4.5 vdc without a signal, but is getting around 65 vdc. I'm a newbie at this. Anyone want to lend a helping hand and offer some guidance as to what could be causing the crazy voltage ? i have the full schematic on hand but file size is too large to upload.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (207.2 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg rwd10guts.jpg (242.9 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled1.jpg (154.6 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by senate; 3rd August 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Better pic of the linear board schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (154.6 KB, 236 views)
Old 4th August 2011, 12:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

bump. guess i'm looking for the electronic component that would bring vdc down on the power supply board.
Old 4th August 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

actually i don't know what i'm lookin for hehe. I had a hunch it was something not bringing down the DCv after the power transformer, but now i'm thinking it could also be something not bringing ACv down before the transformer. Hope that makes sense.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Okay so i've narrowed it down to the power transformer. Now i need to replace it. I've tried searching but i cannot for the love of me find this transformer anywhere. it's in the picture above with the name Indigo on it. Schematic description is "XFMR, POWER EER35L 100V". No clue what the EER35L means... Anyone know where I can purchase this ? i've tried digikey but i don't think i have the correct keywords.
Old 10th August 2011, 02:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The problem isn't the transformer. This is a Class D amp powering a Class AB amp. CD+/- is the output of the Class D amp. The Class D MOSFET usually shorts from D-S and that tops out the CD+\- voltage and burns the centering resistors as you've described.

Find the Class D MOSFET and replace it. It is not in the schematic you posted. The Class D driver circuit may also be damaged so you'll to check that before you fire up the amp.

Good luck!
Old 10th August 2011, 10:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply leadcoma, but I made the wrong move and disassembled the transformer already :O . So beside the mosfets any idea who might sell such a transformer ? I tried Klipsche and they only offer replacement amps. Thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: zip RW10.zip (535.9 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by senate; 10th August 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10th August 2011, 03:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I hate to be the barer of bad news but you won't find that transformer in any store. 99% of switching transformers are custom designed for the application and your transformer is definitely in the custom designed/manufactured category. It's not stocked as a service part either because they rarely fail.

If you made note of the transformer winding specs when you disassembled it, you could rebuild the transformer.
Old 10th August 2011, 04:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

any news is good news. I'll keep an eye out for any similer broken amps to salvage . Thanks again for you help.

Hide this!Advertise here!