klipsch/Bash rw-10d amp broken. need guidance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I would like some help tracking down the issue with this amp. Got it from a friend for free. He doesn't know how it stopped working. hehe. So I opened it up and visibly tracked down two torched resistors and one torched transistor on the Linear Board. The fuse is intact and not blown. I managed to find the schematics for the rw-10 (10d has a digital display for functions). The torched resistors are next to the linear board CD- And according to the schematics this should be recieving 4.5 vdc without a signal, but is getting around 65 vdc. :eek: I'm a newbie at this. Anyone want to lend a helping hand and offer some guidance as to what could be causing the crazy voltage ? i have the full schematic on hand but file size is too large to upload.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 916
  • rwd10guts.jpg
    rwd10guts.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 970
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 824
Last edited:
Okay so i've narrowed it down to the power transformer. Now i need to replace it. I've tried searching but i cannot for the love of me find this transformer anywhere. it's in the picture above with the name Indigo on it. Schematic description is "XFMR, POWER EER35L 100V". No clue what the EER35L means... Anyone know where I can purchase this ? i've tried digikey but i don't think i have the correct keywords.

The problem isn't the transformer. This is a Class D amp powering a Class AB amp. CD+/- is the output of the Class D amp. The Class D MOSFET usually shorts from D-S and that tops out the CD+\- voltage and burns the centering resistors as you've described.

Find the Class D MOSFET and replace it. It is not in the schematic you posted. The Class D driver circuit may also be damaged so you'll to check that before you fire up the amp.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply leadcoma, but I made the wrong move and disassembled the transformer already :O . So beside the mosfets any idea who might sell such a transformer ? I tried Klipsche and they only offer replacement amps. Thanks again

Attachments

• RW10.zip
    535.9 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
I hate to be the barer of bad news but you won't find that transformer in any store. 99% of switching transformers are custom designed for the application and your transformer is definitely in the custom designed/manufactured category. It's not stocked as a service part either because they rarely fail.

If you made note of the transformer winding specs when you disassembled it, you could rebuild the transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.