My design L20D IRS2092+IRFI4020H 200W8R

Hello ljm_ljm and others.

I'm ready to order your modules but I would like some confirmations on my setup before I go ahead. I want to use 8 modules of either L15D or L20D for a total of 16 channels of amplification.

L15D Digital Audio amplifier kit IRS2092 IRFI4019H | eBay
L20D Stero Power Amplifier Board IRAUDAMP7-200 IRS2092 | eBay

The price difference is not big so the question is which board should I choose for the highest cleanest power up to 250W either in 8ohm or 4 ohm. L20D I assume.

I'm thinking or ordering two of connexelectronic 2000W SMPS.

Connexelectronic

His standard voltage options are 54V, 60V or 72V. I'm thinking to go with the recommended 60V but how much output will that give me in either 8ohm or 4ohm

If I want to drive cleanly upto 250W I assume 2 SMPS are enough.

If I used a linear power supply I was also recommended to order the following power supply board.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

If I use the SMPS with the recommended voltage will I still need the power supply modules?

I've also seen the recommendation to use the following speaker protection board.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

My SMPS have 12V auxillary output so can I use it with this speaker protection kit even though it says 15V?

Final question. I like DIY and can follow directions and can do some easy soldering. But I'm not an expert in electronics. By using completed modules I hope I can easily assembly a complete amplifier. Is this feasible? Since I need 16 channels the total amount will easily be 900-1000$ so I don't want to make a big expensive misstake. Is this feasible.

Any help on question for power supply board if you have the SMPS? Correct voltage to hit 250W per channel. 60V or 72V?

Any help on question for power supply board if you have the SMPS? Correct voltage to hit 250W per channel. 60V or 72V?

You don't need the power board if you use SMPS. The power board has rectifiers to convert AC to DC, which is already taken care of in the SMPS. (although I have seen at least one case where Cristi (Connexelectronic) has suggested that a user add some capacitance(a couple of large capacitors(not sure what value) after the SMPS, but without the regulators of course)

re your second question, you need to pick one speaker impedance and design for it. The L20D will be able to output 250W into 8 ohms at +-70V, but ljm_ljm suggests +-60V for a 4 ohm load (giving 300W). Using 60V with 8 ohms will give a lower power output, possibly closer to 200W.

Last edited:
You don't need the power board if you use SMPS. The power board has rectifiers to convert AC to DC, which is already taken care of in the SMPS. (although I have seen at least one case where Cristi (Connexelectronic) has suggested that a user add some capacitance(a couple of large capacitors(not sure what value) after the SMPS, but without the regulators of course)

re your second question, you need to pick one speaker impedance and design for it. The L20D will be able to output 250W into 8 ohms at +-70V, but ljm_ljm suggests +-60V for a 4 ohm load (giving 300W). Using 60V with 8 ohms will give a lower power output, possibly closer to 200W.

Thank you for an excellent clear answer. I will be building my speakers soon and while they are 8 ohm, I will have wiring done to run them as 8ohm or 4ohm. I'm leaning towards choosing the 60V supply. Is there any quality differences if you are running amps at 8 or 4 ohm? Or is the only factor to consider how much power/distortion they play at?

Thank you for an excellent clear answer. I will be building my speakers soon and while they are 8 ohm, I will have wiring done to run them as 8ohm or 4ohm. I'm leaning towards choosing the 60V supply. Is there any quality differences if you are running amps at 8 or 4 ohm? Or is the only factor to consider how much power/distortion they play at?

Since the L20 and L15 are the same design, then they should sound the same, so yes, the basic difference will be how much power you get before distortion rears its ugly head.

Hi LJM,

Can I use the L25D as subwoofer amp, 4 ohm 250w continuous for PA (without overheating)? what would be the recommended (safe) voltage?

Thanks

Hi,

Here's some guideline for you

Attachments

• IRF_FET.png
    IRF_FET.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,374
Hey that's a fantastic post and info I really wanted to know.

THANK YOU

Thanks

Here's the new catalog from IRF, its all inside with the new IR43xx integrated class-d "chipamp"

http://www.irf.com/product-info/selection-guide/sg11453.pdf

However, the graph is a bit conservative with their "clipping power rating" and contradic with LJM claims for L25D for 4020H of 350W @ 4ohm. Which its not archivable according to the graph

Last edited:
Is.If you can make your amplifier work at lower temperatures. Temperature, the active heatsink (fan). They can have more power.

On the contrary, if the temperature is relatively high, that their power will be lower than the rated output power.

The L25D rated power is 250W 8R.
If your speaker is 4 ohms, its output voltage will be smaller, you can lower powered L15D.

Reduce the voltage in the power, power unchanged, the current will be greater, more suitable for low impedance loads.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone!
I am Hungarian, and the English is not easy for me. Help me "google translate" ! :)
I hope you understand what I write unto you!
Two question unto you:
1., Someone is L25D to the L20D, or the PCB schematic in pdf format? Could be here to download? Top side, botom side and layer schematic? Also helps me download link...
2., Is it possible to replace the "Digital Audio Mosfet" from "Fast Switch Power Mosfet"? IRFB4212PBF ===> IRF3007, or P140NF75 (of course, only up to -/+75 Voltage)
data sheet: http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf3007.pdf
and: P140NF75 datasheet pdf datenblatt - STMicroelectronics - N-CHANNEL 75V - 0.0065 ohm -120A DPAK/IPAK/TO-220 STripFET II POWER MOSFET ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

Thank you for your answers!

Hello, everyone!
I am Hungarian, and the English is not easy for me. Help me "google translate" ! :)
I hope you understand what I write unto you!
Two question unto you:
1., Someone is L25D to the L20D, or the PCB schematic in pdf format? Could be here to download? Top side, botom side and layer schematic? Also helps me download link...
2., Is it possible to replace the "Digital Audio Mosfet" from "Fast Switch Power Mosfet"? IRFB4212PBF ===> IRF3007, or P140NF75 (of course, only up to -/+75 Voltage)
data sheet: http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf3007.pdf
and: P140NF75 datasheet pdf datenblatt - STMicroelectronics - N-CHANNEL 75V - 0.0065 ohm -120A DPAK/IPAK/TO-220 STripFET II POWER MOSFET ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

Thank you for your answers!

The L15,20 and 25 are all based on IRAUDAMP7S reference design. Please see page 30 of the PDF for the schematic diagram. Ljm_ljm did not include the over/under voltage protection in his design.

The design does not use the IRFB4212PBF which is a "single" MosFET, it uses the irfi4212h-117p which is a MosFET Half Bridge containing two MosFETS. These devices have been optimized for Class D Audio, so if you change the design to use two single MosFETS, you may not get the results you expect.

The L15,20 and 25 are all based on IRAUDAMP7S reference design. Please see page 30 of the PDF for the schematic diagram. Ljm_ljm did not include the over/under voltage protection in his design.

The design does not use the IRFB4212PBF which is a "single" MosFET, it uses the irfi4212h-117p which is a MosFET Half Bridge containing two MosFETS. These devices have been optimized for Class D Audio, so if you change the design to use two single MosFETS, you may not get the results you expect.

L25D is single mosfet by using 2 X IRFB4020PbF.

Not too sure if it can replace it with IRFB4212PBF.