My design L20D IRS2092+IRFI4020H 200W8R

@ zog666 that looks like a sweet set up

Must admit during the short tests iv done these amps do sound good!

Running 86v rails :eek:

I have changed the components LJM suggested but the resistor next to the voltage regulator on the heat sink (changed from 2k2 to 3k 1 watt) runs very hot still.

maybe change to 2 or 3 watt?

It wouldn't hurt, its always better to err on the side of conservatism ;)

@zog666, why adding the big caps between smps and amps ?
usually, huge caps are not needed with an smps. Did you try with and without them ?

ps: smps300R main advantage over a350smps, is the regulated output. I prefer to use regulated smps for classD amps, as their psrr is not so great ;)

@ zog666 that looks like a sweet set up

Must admit during the short tests iv done these amps do sound good!

Thanks, and agreed about the sound.. still I've got a few ideas to replace the coupling capacitors, but just listening to the amp as it is for now. The resistors on mine get warm, but not mega hot so far (with just +-60v) , but I'll keep checking them.

@zog666, why adding the big caps between smps and amps ?
usually, huge caps are not needed with an smps. Did you try with and without them ?

I added them on advice of Cristi from Connex Electronics after he was asked what I was using the SMPS for. Adding that extra reserve of power makes sense to me. I haven't tried it without them, that would be an interesting and easy thing to try.

I soldered on 63V rated capacitors on the L20D boards.. since the PSU is regulated it should be "locked in" at 60V so I shouldnt have to worry about that 3V margin? - I do have some 80V rated low ESR caps as well in the bag of bits.

And while I'm here.. another pic..
main.php

I added the caps on advice of Cristi from Connex Electronics after he was asked what I was using the SMPS for. Adding that extra reserve of power makes sense to me. I haven't tried it without them, that would be an interesting and easy thing to try.
interesting. I would love to undestand Cristi rationale. Do you have the link of the discussion if it was not private ?

A single smsp300R is undersized for a 2x200W amp. The power supply at +/-60V can only deliver 3.3A peak. You won't get the full power from the L20D. However, for reasonable listening level, this may not be an issue.
I wonder if Cristi recomended the large caps as a way to compensate for a short power supply ?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
So folks, I've been looking at options to drive an active system, and it crossed my mind that these would work well for the bass end. But, and this is where you chaps might be able to help, if feasible, it would be nice to use another for the mid and high as well, so how easy would it be to modify these boards to make them back to stereo? I have the IR app note, but can't really tell from the pics I've seen how the LJM board differs. Ta in advance.

So folks, I've been looking at options to drive an active system, and it crossed my mind that these would work well for the bass end. But, and this is where you chaps might be able to help, if feasible, it would be nice to use another for the mid and high as well, so how easy would it be to modify these boards to make them back to stereo? I have the IR app note, but can't really tell from the pics I've seen how the LJM board differs. Ta in advance.

There is nothing in the design that limits their bandwidth. They are perfectly fine for use as full audio frequency amps, so you could use them for each speaker in your system. The fact that they are so small makes them attractive for multi amp systems, like building blocks almost.. ;)

The boards are mono, which means you need to buy a pair for stereo, but that's why they are sold in pairs. LJM just decided to split the IR reference design (which is stereo) into two mono units.

interesting. I would love to undestand Cristi rationale. Do you have the link of the discussion if it was not private ?
link not available, but I think it was because the SMPS300R has smaller capacitance than one I was going to use? Cristi sometimes checks this thread so maybe he has some input?

A single smsp300R is undersized for a 2x200W amp. The power supply at +/-60V can only deliver 3.3A peak. You won't get the full power from the L20D. However, for reasonable listening level, this may not be an issue.
I wonder if Cristi recomended the large caps as a way to compensate for a short power supply ?

The full power of L20D is overkill for me and I was going to undervolt it anyway with the previous power supply I chose.. I was not expecting to run it at anywhere near full capacity. If I had been more aware of the L15D when I ordered I would have got them, as it would have made the power supply selection easier!
I am considering this particular build an approx 150W per channel amp.

ZOG666, love the paint stir stick re-use.. ;)
yes... but does the type of paint affect the sound? .. It shows I just wandered around the garage looking for spare bits of "stuff" when figuring out the capacitor mount.:)

I am considering this particular build an approx 150W per channel amp.
well... not really or it depends on the "Watt" you consider ;)
It's a common mistake with smps : you cant' just use the rated W from SMPS to get Wrms for the amp.

150Wrms amp in 8ohms requires 4.33Arms. Which is 6A peak on a sinusoidal. Per channel.
"commercial watts" are different :rolleyes:

yes... but does the type of paint affect the sound? .. It shows I just wandered around the garage looking for spare bits of "stuff" when figuring out the capacitor mount.:)
everyone knows that black painted amps sound better than silver ones :D
Like red cars: they are faster :rolleyes:

Hi LJM,

For L25D, is IRFB4020PBF can be replace by IRFB5620PBF ?

For the inductor, is there anything in between > 13A & < 31A ?
20A should nice without increase the price too much

IMHO, L25D should be more than 450W @ 4ohm.

Irfb4020 and IRFB5620 interchangeable.

Used for L25D. I suggest using IRFB4020.

The transistor usually power, the greater the current, his performance parameters are much lower.

Grid charge Qg influence is the loss of the key parameters MOSFET switch, lower Qg will lead to faster switch speed and a low grid of loss

IRFB5620 Have lower RDS. Can improve efficiency. Reduce the heat tube field effect.

But it may not be for a higher frequency.

This is me a new design of the AMP. He had since the IR company demo version IRAUDAMP7S-200.

It USES the IRS2092 driver IC, and the IRFI4020H special mosfet output

Its power can do 200 W 8 R (+ 65 V). So I call it the L 20 D.

Hi Ljim.
I'm from Brazil.
Could you provide me with the layout of this amplifier?
I bought 02 of these plates by ebay and really enjoyed it.
Thank you.

LJM - I made a mistake in my power supply . It is +/- 52V. However, I have build up my L25D already. Can I use my existing power supply without changing the L25D? Thanks, Please let me know.

I know you said power supply.
IT IS AC 52-0-52 , OR AC37-0-37 Rectifier = DC + - 52 V?

if it is AC52-0-52, RECTIFIER =+ - 72V.

so It can not work in L15D.

it is can use L25D only.:D