My design L20D IRS2092+IRFI4020H 200W8R

...the main capacitors measured 0.12 ohms ESR and so were headed to the junkheap as soon as they crossed my doorstep, as I draw the line at about 0.05 ohms right now

Does the ESR affect sound quality and/or efficiency/heat (do these pass output current?)

Also curious about your opinion on use of electrolytics as blocking caps on the input; did you change those?

I'm going to see this circuit, that you should be calculated is correct.

Reverse phase input virtual ground, so input impedance should be 1 / (1/100 K + 1/3.33 K)

Thank you for your correct.

Is this correct? What about R8, 120k?

This is important to me so I can properly calculate a passive shelf filter to correct an issue with my L/R speakers.

Does the ESR affect sound quality and/or efficiency/heat (do these pass output current?)

Also curious about your opinion on use of electrolytics as blocking caps on the input; did you change those?

Is this correct? What about R8, 120k?

This is important to me so I can properly calculate a passive shelf filter to correct an issue with my L/R speakers.

They are inverse the amplifier circuits, there are many material are described in content.

Before I ignore this, in the capacity of the capacitance on use size, 22 UF is more reasonable.

So we don't have to change it.

I thought that crossover distortion wasn't an issue for class D because they don't construct the output waveform from two halves like AB designs, but then I came across this:

Class-d in general do have a very different crossover behaviour than linear amps. There is always an alternating idling current flowing through the output inductor at no or low output power. This current is greatly supporting the switching process. At the very point when the output current in the load approaches the value of the idling current a class-d amp's crossover takes place. This is usually at a few watts. There are amps where this is intentionally pushed to higher output power levels by the use of smaller inductors (and therefore increased idling current).

Is this true for the IRS2092-based modules?

If so, what is the freq of this alternating idling current?

The only evidence is a small bump at 20W in some of the THD+N vs. power graphs, but curiously only in one channel.

I thought that crossover distortion wasn't an issue for class D because they don't construct the output waveform from two halves like AB designs, but then I came across this:

Is this true for the IRS2092-based modules?

If so, what is the freq of this alternating idling current?

The only evidence is a small bump at 20W in some of the THD+N vs. power graphs, but curiously only in one channel.

It's probably the self generated 400Khz frequency that is used as part of the Class D design..

I've just ordered a set of L25D's to power my 8R woofers and I'm building twin linear power supplies with a dual secondary 700VA transformer... Is there a point where supply capacitance would be considered overkill or perhaps even counterproductive? I have 40,000uF currently available for each board.

There must be a point of diminishing returns for power supplys but I very much doubt it would be counter productive.

The L25D looks great! I'm still waiting for the resistors I need to change on my l20d's in order to make them run safely at about 85V.

@ ljm would I be able to change components on the L25D to make it suitable for this voltage as it looks very tempting!

I've just ordered a set of L25D's to power my 8R woofers and I'm building twin linear power supplies with a dual secondary 700VA transformer... Is there a point where supply capacitance would be considered overkill or perhaps even counterproductive? I have 40,000uF currently available for each board.
Building a capacitance multiplier may be more effective cost- and space-wise.

Hi ljm_ljm.

I just received my L25d kit... 4 zeners are still on the tape, 4 came individually. I'm not quite sure which zeners are the 5v and which are the 15v. Can you assist?

Thanks

check for markings.. (you might need a magnifier), he might not be able to tell you since he's the designer, and not involved with the sales..

If you have a power supply you can use, you can also measure the zener's to see which one's are which as per "Testing Zeners" on this page

Last edited:
Well, I finally got my L20D amplifier assembled and it's sounding good!

I am using a recycled DVD player chassis, and I haven't finished tidying the wiring yet, but here is where I am at:
main.php

I'm using a ConnexElectronics SMPS300R, with 2 extra Elna 18000uF filter caps between them and the boards. I had originally ordered an A350SMPS, but it had a problem when I first tested it. Cristi offered to upgrade to an SMPS300R as a replacemant.. slightly less wattage, but made to provide +-60V to better suit the L20D, and its running very well.

The L20D boards are almost currently stock, except for the addition of heat sink compound (didn't ship with any, as others have said), and I have replaced the small stock bypass capacitors with 1200uF low ESR capacitors as well.

Only had it running for a few hours... but it sounds GOOD. Not as quiet as some amps, but more than quiet enough (hiss with ear near the waveguide, not audible away from the speakers). And this is all just as first fired up, with no fine tuning of the layout.

Power use for the pair of modules measured with steplight power meter is 12W idle.

@ zog666 that looks like a sweet set up

Must admit during the short tests iv done these amps do sound good!

Running 86v rails :eek:

I have changed the components LJM suggested but the resistor next to the voltage regulator on the heat sink (changed from 2k2 to 3k 1 watt) runs very hot still.

maybe change to 2 or 3 watt?