Suggestions for a build. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default Suggestions for a build.

Hello.

I am looking for suggestions for a new build. I read the previous threads but my requisites are a tad different.

I am learning about SMPS and class d amps. The best method of learning for me is to learn the theory and put it in practice right away.

I would like to build a 4 channel system for a friend's car. Good power levels are required but most of all good sound quality (my friend understood fairly quickly that thos 12000w amps on ebay are not good at all )

I would also like (and here is the difference) to construct and assemble the amps and power supply from the bare pcb board. I print my own circuits so any suggestions should contain ready to print pcb masters.

Any help would be welcome. I will then extensively study the schemes and layout of the proposed amps/Power supply.

Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Billyo is offline Billyo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Why would you build it from scratch when you can buy it fully assembled for a fraction of the retail price of the individual components... not to mention your time in having to track them all down?
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:23 PM   #3

I am not sure I understand your reply.

If you suggest finding DIY kits a therefore avoid PCB tracing with eagle ecc....I agree. DIY amp mdules wwould be very interesting.

If you suggest buying an off the shelf unit...pardon me, what are we doing on DIY audio?

Old 22nd June 2011, 09:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexontherocks View Post
If you suggest buying an off the shelf unit...pardon me, what are we doing on DIY audio?

Class D DIY is a minefield.
Class D is very fussy about decoupling and pcb layout and inductor choice.
I went through two pcb revisions before I got mine anywhere near right.

Poster was offering some very sensible advice.
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'd get a car audio SMPS from connexelectronic, and if you want to solder your own boards, get 4 x 41hz amp11's.
Old 23rd June 2011, 03:11 PM   #6

I am sorry didn't want to sound rude

I thought the poster wanted to suggest buying a fully assembled, off the shelf commercial audio amplifier rather than building one. I understad there are implications with designing a board, tracing and testing for uknowns. I wanted simply to find good power ad amplifier DIY kits I could still comprehend by soldering individual components, studying the schematics and the thoery behind them.

Old 23rd June 2011, 03:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERTUNE View Post
I'd get a car audio SMPS from connexelectronic, and if you want to solder your own boards, get 4 x 41hz amp11's.
+1 ... über setup this would be

(If Amp11 is daunting, then 41Hz Amp9 is easy and very flexible in use.)
Old 24th June 2011, 11:47 AM   #8

thanks for the suggestions.

Just for curiosity.

How would a combination of 2 car smps modules from connexelectronic (rated 500w I believe) and 4 IRS2092 based amps (with +/- 52 vdc rails) sound like for a general use, high power 4ch car system?

I really need to get some casings out of the way and this combination seems a very good way to get rid of a big one I have lyign around. Once that is done I can start exploring a more DIY approach.

Thanks!
Old 24th June 2011, 03:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexontherocks View Post
thanks for the suggestions.

Just for curiosity.

How would a combination of 2 car smps modules from connexelectronic (rated 500w I believe) and 4 IRS2092 based amps (with +/- 52 vdc rails) sound like for a general use, high power 4ch car system?

Thanks!
loud, I would imagine.

Hide this!Advertise here!