2x 12v T-Amps on 1x 24v supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi this is a bit embarrasing to ask but I can't seem to find a straight answer to this anywhere...

I have 3 cone speakers. On each speaker, I want to run the woofer with 1x mono TK2050, and run the mid and tweeter with a 1x stereo TA2024 (using one channel for each driver). I have 3 x 24v 350w Meanwell SMPS's.

The TK2050's are 24v and run directly off the 24v SMPS.

Can I run 2x TA2024's in SERIES across the 24v supply so they run at their rated 12v?

If not, how else should I drop the voltage from 24v to 12v - a resistor or a voltage regulator?

Thanks guys!

Interference issues aside - given that what we are trying to do with a power supply is to provide a constant linear supply to the amplifier - it is hard to see how powering amplifiers in series is compatable with that.

Is there a reason why you don't want to simply provide a separate power supply for the lower voltage amps? That would seem bar far the best solution to me. Or even run tk2050 amps at 24V to all drivers hence simplifying the power requirements?

Thanks a lot to you both for the fast replies and advice. I'm glad I checked before I just went ahead and connected it all up.

I used to run the TK2050's to all drivers, but have decided they're not up to the same standards of the TA2024's in certain areas. This is after several months of listening, and doing several tests with different friends and family, young and old.

So I'm trying to get the best of both worlds by mixing things up a bit. I've had to put in a 4.7K resistor on the line input to the TK2050's as they're quite a bit louder. It's a crude way of doing it but I found the correct resistance by using a fixed frequency input and measuring the AC voltage output of the different amplifers until they matched. I then confirmed the value as best I could by checking a range of frequencies.

Is there a reason why you don't want to simply provide a separate power supply for the lower voltage amps?

Only in that I have very good 24v PSU's, and not very good at all 12v PSU's to hand at the moment.

Given the advice, I think I'd better invest in a couple of 12v Meanwell's.

I used to run the TK2050's to all drivers, but have decided they're not up to the same standards of the TA2024's in certain areas. This is after several months of listening, and doing several tests with different friends and family, young and old.

This is a real surprise to me. I immediately favored my TK2050 amps over my TA2020/2024 amps, and still prefer them after extended listening. The sound is clearer, dynamics better, and there's more of the subtle magic that we love.

May I ask which amp boards are you using?

I immediately favoured the TK2050's as well. With all that extra power and the same class D clarity as the TA2024's it seemed at first like a big improvement. It wasn't until my other half came into the room and said 'what's happened to the [female] voices?'... The excitement quickly wore off. I didn't mention this to people doing listening tests, but simply said I thought there was something I'm not entirely happy with. Most people who I've demo'ed to have ended up at more or less the same conclusion. Some saying the vocals sound closed off, as if they were talking through cupped hands. One mentioned you can't hear nasal and chest resonances and hence the way the singer is singing. The best way to demonstrate this is a female trio. Each singer is much harder to distingish on the TK2050's, whereas on the TA2024's you can clearly hear each singers voice.

I have Helder Audio boards. MKII 2024's (they're simpler/cleaner than the MKIII), and MKII 2050's running PMC OB1's.

I tried bypassing the input caps but it didn't help. The other thing I haven't tried is changing the output coils, but they do already look very good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.