Purpose-built Boominator PCB project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As promised, the first half of the design files - the Eagle files, including schematic/board/library. Files require Eagle 6.2 or later. There's a readme file in the eagle files zip which is a very rough draft of a manual - I wrote it originally to state the license, but kept on writing ;)

There's also a PDF file attached here with the schematic - this may not be 100% correct to the PCB (part designators may be different) but it might be handy to look at. Refer to the .SCH file for the official copy.

The design posted is almost identical to the "V0.99" prototype PCBs which I ordered, with a couple of very slight changes - I moved the DSP I2C connector slightly to the right (the terminal block interferes with it on the prototype), I removed the PCB order tracking number and I updated the board version from 0.99 to 1.00.

I still have to finish the SigmaDSP and AVR code before I release them. Biamp modes and equalization will probably not be working when I do release them - I'm planning to biamp my GT-1001/GW-1058 Boominator when it's built and I will have a suitable crossover/equalization setup ready at that point, but I can't provide the same for anything built with HP-10Ws etc.

Everything here is released under a Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0 license. Hack away!

Attachments

• shiznit_eagle_files.zip
    138.3 KB · Views: 137
  • shiznit.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 337
<-- Fascinated

I have just one suggestion. To constrain some variety so that going forwards is easier, why don't you start a poll/survey asking what speaker configurations to support?

I think I've collected some data on that:
4 P.Audio HP10w (boominator)
2 P.Audio HP10w (halfinator)
4 Goldwood GW-1058 (usa/china boominator)
2 Eminiance Basslite S2010 (lightweight halfinator)
4 Monacor SP-60/4 (miniature boominator)
2 Monacor SP-60/4 (miniature halfinator)

So, for the inbuilt EQ, there's just 4 woofers to support. In this case, couldn't the amplifiers be pre-set so that end-users don't have to program the DSP?

Only thing is, I don't really have any response curves for any of these speaker arrangements, or a method of generating them. A speaker in free space isn't too bad, a bipolar Boominator resting on the ground with piezo tweeters is a bit tougher to model.

Mind you I haven't really put in the effort to try... Any help would be highly appreciated :D

Well, decision time.

The current hardware will never be made into a product. The ADAU1592 chips are now officially obsolete, I can't buy them anymore. And the current method of changing DSP filter coefficients, which involves reprogramming the microcontroller, is unreasonable for 99% of people who would ever use the card.

I'll keep on using this card for my own purposes (the original design intent...) and if anyone wants a blank PCB and feels like sourcing parts themselves, I'll mail a card in an envelope for a few bucks.

If there's enough interest, I'll put in the work to make something that's a lot more consumer ready. I'd love to make a full sealed metal box with an IP rated connector or two on the outside (I've found some nice IP-rated D-sub connectors) that you can plug into a PC and set up, tweak live, etc. I'll warn though, it might not be cheap!

Well, decision time.

The current hardware will never be made into a product. The ADAU1592 chips are now officially obsolete, I can't buy them anymore. And the current method of changing DSP filter coefficients, which involves reprogramming the microcontroller, is unreasonable for 99% of people who would ever use the card.

I'll keep on using this card for my own purposes (the original design intent...) and if anyone wants a blank PCB and feels like sourcing parts themselves, I'll mail a card in an envelope for a few bucks.

If there's enough interest, I'll put in the work to make something that's a lot more consumer ready. I'd love to make a full sealed metal box with an IP rated connector or two on the outside (I've found some nice IP-rated D-sub connectors) that you can plug into a PC and set up, tweak live, etc. I'll warn though, it might not be cheap!

I'm definitely interested in having a blank PCB and source the parts myself.

After all, this is a DIY audience you are preaching to :D

I will be attempting to create an all analog purpose made Boominator amplifier, with similar features.

A pair of RC4200 chips (harmonic bass extension) just arrived in the mail. But I'm going to dial mine up a bit higher to support "miniature Halfinator" (Pair of Monacor SP-60/4) which is considerably easier to lift and carry although the box is not tiny. Outdoor tuning has it go down to 120hz and then hopefully the bass harmonic enhancer circuit can extend that a bit deeper.

Eventually, I hope to learn how to adapt the clipnipper to react to (track) varying rail voltage from the battery powered amplifier. The clipnipper project is a rough and rowdy "plays louder" sort of limiter much like a volumax. Likewise it sounds better than clipping. Unlike a volumax, the clipnipper aboard the audio amp only engages as needed (and it can simultaneously engage the BlareBuster voice band uncompress/anti-shout filter). Even when engaged in its simplest form, the analog limiter has prettier voice band than the "Yaaa!!!" of a radio station processor. So in this case, I favor analog. If only it would track the rails.

The Tripath amplifiers seem to have a clipping indicator and there's a 1 transistor boost to get it to light up an LED or a 4n25, which is good enough for a soft clipper to clean up ragged bass notes that escape the clipnipper. . . in theory. I'm just not sure how fast those can run or if it is even useful to add the soft clipper in addition to the clipnipper limiter. But, I'm sure its doable.

Sorry to take a different path, but the analog looks so much more. . . ready to use. Plus there's less soldering and it looks like the circuits are easier to control/adjust with simple things like a dial or switch.

Ever considered an analog version with such features?

You could use another pair of RC4200s, multiplying the input signal with a filtered battery voltage sense. Poke them between your limiter and your amplifier.

I've got a couple reasons for taking a digital approach with the original card - (1) ridiculous expandability/adjustability with the DSP (no need to replace components, etc), (2) repeatability (high order filters are tough to adjust), (3) power (DSP can replace dozens of op-amps, multipliers, etc and pull a lot less power in the process) and (4) I spent 8 years writing DSP code for a living, so I'm biased ;)

Anyway, I'm shifting gears on this project. I'll be working on a more customer-friendly Boominator card, or maybe even a few different versions of them with a different set of features. These will be made available for public consumption, I promise :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Anyway, I'm shifting gears on this project. I'll be working on a more customer-friendly Boominator card, or maybe even a few different versions of them with a different set of features. These will be made available for public consumption, I promise :D

I've got a basic ADAU1701 circuit with two of the newer SSM3302 chips on them. I've got prototype boards made and a bag of parts but haven't had time to assemble one yet. This will be a stereo 2-way amp board with the ADAU1701 for the crossover.

And I've got some nice software to design crossovers on the PC and download the parameter data for the crossover to the ADAU1701 via USB. The PC software will also read in measurement files (FRD/ZMA) and allow realtime interactive crossover design.

Unfortunately, I'm not interested in making the software open source, but it will be available at a very reasonable price. Maybe there are some collaboration opportunities with the Boominator design project that we should explore, or at least drive these projects on a parallel path...

I feel your pain about the ADAU1592 chips going NLA, but I'm still reeling from the previous generation AD1990-series getting discontinued. I made a pretty cool board with the AD1994 several years ago and this new board is an update to that design.

Capture.JPG

A few things happened:

- The card isn't user friendly at all. To make changes to the DSP processing, you need to buy an expensive DSP debugger, AVR programming pod and do a lot of work.
- The ADAU1592 class D amp chips used on the card are obsolete.
- I'm using this card myself (I originally designed it for myself), I'm content with it and I don't really have any motivation/reason to design another one.
- I worked on a few other design concepts for a while, including looking into bulk manufacturing of an "official" Boominator card. Unfortunately I couldn't bring the price point down to a low enough point where anyone would want to buy it. These cards would be made by the dozens, not the thousands, which means paying for domestic manufacturing - which is much higher than the chinese manufacturing costs everyone's used to.

I've posted the hardware design files on page 11 under a CC BY-NC-SA license, and I'll locate the software files sometime and release them. So anyone's free to take the design, modify it, and run with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.