Purpose-built Boominator PCB project - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2013, 01:57 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Stoked. Cannot wait.
Old 13th June 2013, 05:24 PM   #132
hoffsta is offline hoffsta  United States
diyAudio Member

Awesome news! I will be in line to buy one to support your efforts over the years on this project.
Old 17th June 2013, 12:57 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

I'll be buying one too......

BJ
Old 17th June 2013, 01:46 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
I gave up trying to make a through-hole card, and decided to go for a SMT board instead, sold as a 100% complete and tested unit. It'll be made here in Canada, and it'll probably cost a few times more than a throwaway chinese amp off ebay, but it'll be a damn good product that I'll 100% stand behind.
Even then I reckon it's actually not much more than cheapo chinese amps when you consider that it replaces a TA2020 amp, a TK2050amp , a dc-dc converter, a battery indicator, and saves the trouble of having to switch between amps to get the best efficiency. And all the thing that can go wrong in that process. Even saves the trouble of having to turn it on and off.
Old 17th June 2013, 04:47 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

I'll pre-order three right now, happy to pay deposit if it will help get you started.....
BJ
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:30 AM   #136
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Prototype PCBs are on the way from Seeed, and I'm keying in the last of the digikey order right now for the rest of the parts. Also trying to track down a couple of cheap 4 ohm loads capable of 100W.

I'm trying something new on the design - a DC/DC converter that'll convert 12V battery input to anywhere from 12V to 26V depending on the audio listening level. So it'll be power efficient at low listening levels, but capable of going damn loud if you want. Everything seems to work in simulation, but I'll wait for real hardware to show up to verify that. Fingers crossed..
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:31 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

What chip are you going to use as a step up? Isn't most limited to 3A, like the LM2587, LM2596 and LM337?

And what Class D chip/s are you going for?
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:03 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureFM View Post
What chip are you going to use as a step up? Isn't most limited to 3A, like the LM2587, LM2596 and LM337?

And what Class D chip/s are you going for?
LTC3787

TPA3118D2
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:51 PM   #139
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

^- this. They're the main chips.

TPA3118D2 has the same die as the TPA3116D2, but heatsinks to the PCB instead of to a top-mounted heatsink. With proper cooling it's capable of the same power as the 3116.

On my board, I've got a ridiculous # of thermal vias under the 3118 to heatsink the chip to the bottom side ground plane, and I'm sticking a big thermal pad to the bottom of the PCB to cool it to the chassis. Hoping that's sufficient for cooling.

The LTC3787 operates in burst mode, which should give very little power consumption, and interference between the 3118 and 3787 should hopefully be inaudible. If burst mode becomes audible on the class D output, I could put the 3787 into pulse skipping mode, perhaps even sync the 3787 and 3118 in that configuration - hopefully the power dissipation won't be too bad in that scenario. Guess we'll see what happens..
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:30 PM   #140
hoffsta is offline hoffsta  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
I gave up trying to make a through-hole card, and decided to go for a SMT board instead, sold as a 100% complete and tested unit.
As someone more interested in having a shiznit boombox than spending countless hours trying to build a circuit board with no associated skills, I welcome this news!

Hide this!Advertise here!