Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the review: " with no signal present it is actually a pure tone at 412kHz that has an amplitude of 263mV. "

Once i had the same question and someone actually measured the Ncore and came up with a similar, if slightly higher number. Whether one is bothered by half a megahertz feeding a 5m speaker cable is probably system specific.
I tend to be of the belief (based on some experiences of mine corroborated with those of others) that EMI/RFI is practically completely disregarded in audio. designing for compliance = knowledge, effort and $$$.

read this post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...rch-preamplifier-part-ii-466.html#post3038074

I happen to trust the guy in general, he's one of the few with common sense on the local audio forums.

View attachment 302304

0.1v and 1us per division

From the review: " with no signal present it is actually a pure tone at 412kHz that has an amplitude of 263mV. "

Once i had the same question and someone actually measured the Ncore and came up with a similar, if slightly higher number. Whether one is bothered by half a megahertz feeding a 5m speaker cable is probably system specific.

Here;
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/190434-hypex-ncore-508.html#post3172344

I had Xindak 8800MNE

Both me and my wife thought it was more muddy, less detail and "flat sound".
The singer did not come forward as it was earlier.

Again, not bad and i doesn´t know how much "burn in " time they need to perform as it´s best. I only run them for about 15 hours now. I will run them and do a real evaluate when they run for a few hundred hours.

Could be as easy as Class D is not "my cup of tea"

But the ncores were not the only change you did, right? You changed dac as well, I read on another forum.

Significant Audible difference?

I'm having a hard time grasping the affects of speaker wire gauge and length on sound quality with the NC400. My equipment is in the back of the room, with 30 feet of 10awg speaker wire to 250W 6 ohm speakers. Would I be loosing a significant amount of sound quality here? Would bi-wiring this wire make an audible difference?

I'm having a hard time grasping the affects of speaker wire gauge and length on sound quality with the NC400. My equipment is in the back of the room, with 30 feet of 10awg speaker wire to 250W 6 ohm speakers. Would I be loosing a significant amount of sound quality here? Would bi-wiring this wire make an audible difference?

There are weak points in the chain of audio equipment and in the overwhelming majority of all cases the speaker cable is not one of them, so probably not. Especially not since you have a decently sized cable already. Linkwitz covers the topic in some detail:

Hello,
I just came back from the High End in Munich where Bruno Putzeys presented two designs based on the Ncore. His Mola Mola line with Lansche Plasma speakers played in one room and the LS1 in another. Both sounded impressive, although I think the LS1 is the much better buy (the guy from Lansche told me that the whole system probably was about a quarter Million Euros, a small part only Bruno's components which are supposed to sell for 8000 Euro the preamp and 6000 for each mono amp). I had the chance to talk to Bruno which was very interesting. Bel Canto also demoed prototypes of their Black line which are based on Ncore 1200, but I didn't like the sound with the Joseph Pearl 3. If you know German you can read my impressions of both design of Bruno on my Blog flatworld.welt.de . You find Bruno in day 1 and 3.

I'm having a hard time grasping the affects of speaker wire gauge and length on sound quality with the NC400. My equipment is in the back of the room, with 30 feet of 10awg speaker wire to 250W 6 ohm speakers. Would I be loosing a significant amount of sound quality here?

30 feet shouldn't be much of a problem. In theory you will get a bit of cable resistance and capacitance, but unless you have an extremely current-hungry speaker, I can't see it making much difference,

Would bi-wiring this wire make an audible difference?

I wouldn't think so. If there is any current-limiting caused by the cable, it will be on the woofer, and moving the much smaller currents going to the mid/tweeter off the cable won't make a real difference.

It depends on the cable -and the rest of the system of course. In some systems cables matter a lot. But in such cases the sheer gauge usually isn't the primary concern.

Get-lit was asking if he needed to worry about the length of the cables with his nC400-based system. You responded "In some systems cables matter a lot", so I wanted to clarify if you thought his system could be one of those systems, or not.

OK, thanks, I see.
Well I certainly don't know enough about Get-lit's system to qualify whether or not the specific cable he is using entails a significant bottleneck performance-wise according to his subjective taste.

In other words, he might not need to worry, and then he might -if not worry, then at least test (the only way to be sure) whether a system reconfiguration with shorter and/or better cable would enable him to appreciate his music even more.

All the best,

Planned system is NAD M15 HD2 preamp, Monitor Audio GS series speakers, and NC400 amps for left/right/center. May upgrade the speakers down the road to DIY with AE drivers and RALL ribbons, but that would be a few years away yet.

The 10 AWG wire isn't audio specific, it's this stuff (nylon jacket, 600V PVC insulation). Is shielded wire recommended?

On a side note, last year I read about a little box that does HDMI to 8 channel out, that can be spliced into for getting independent digital outputs for lossless digital signal to individual preamps->amps placed at each speaker. I bought the box then but forgot what it is now and it's unmarked.

EDIT: Thanks everyone, this is by far the most responsive thread on the internet.

Last edited:
Planned system is NAD M15 HD2 preamp, Monitor Audio GS series speakers, and NC400 amps for left/right/center. May upgrade the speakers down the road to DIY with AE drivers and RALL ribbons, but that would be a few years away yet.

The 10 AWG wire isn't audio specific, it's this stuff (nylon jacket, 600V PVC insulation). Is shielded wire recommended?

On a side note, last year I read about a little box that does HDMI to 8 channel out, that can be spliced into for getting independent digital outputs for lossless digital signal to individual preamps->amps placed at each speaker. I bought the box then but forgot what it is now and it's unmarked.

EDIT: Thanks everyone, this is by far the most responsive thread on the internet.

Any decent cable should be enough. What you pay for isn't for magical materials but rather for build quality and since it's just two straight bundles of wires + insulation not that much is needed. Shielded is overkill since it's high level signals transmitted through it.

Any decent cable should be enough. What you pay for isn't for magical materials but rather for build quality and since it's just two straight bundles of wires + insulation not that much is needed. Shielded is overkill since it's high level signals transmitted through it.

You don't know that. Conductor spacing is central. Also, they could be twisted. If so, twists per meter is central too. The number of strands, and their size probably plays a part too. Then we come to the mechanical stuff which is even weirder. You are absolutely right that these things don't have to translate into a big price tag and magical specifications, but to say that their all the same since their "just two straight bundles of wires + insulation" is to just not true - according to my humble experience.

Best,

You don't know that. Conductor spacing is central. Also, they could be twisted. If so, twists per meter is central too. The number of strands, and their size probably plays a part too. Then we come to the mechanical stuff which is even weirder. You are absolutely right that these things don't have to translate into a big price tag and magical specifications, but to say that their all the same since their "just two straight bundles of wires + insulation" is to just not true - according to my humble experience.

Yes, different cables have different properties. Whether those properties cause audible differences depends on the system where they are used - and mostly reflect weaknesses in the design of those systems. Until we know of a specific problem with the nCores that are caused or cured by specific cable properties, I think we should not advocate any specific cables - until you know what the problem is, any solution will be sub-optimal.

I, for one, am not aware of any such issues with the nCores, so I would say "any cables with a low enough resistance / high enough current capability are just fine for use with the nCores".

Yes, different cables have different properties. Whether those properties cause audible differences depends on the system where they are used - and mostly reflect weaknesses in the design of those systems. Until we know of a specific problem with the nCores that are caused or cured by specific cable properties, I think we should not advocate any specific cables - until you know what the problem is, any solution will be sub-optimal.

I, for one, am not aware of any such issues with the nCores, so I would say "any cables with a low enough resistance / high enough current capability are just fine for use with the nCores".

I know that we disagree on this topic which doesn't mean that we both can be right in each our way. And peace with that.
Ncore would be the first amp to not show differences in cables -at least to me. In all the systems that I have tested cables, the cables showed characteristic audible features. Does that mean that all systems are flawed or that cables in general seems to matter (in practice, no matter what can be deduced from selected theoretical representations), or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.