Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the "sound" and stuff (warning: easter wine content):

After buying nCores, I guess i am turning into a source-first guy. Once the speakers are properly placed, i always tune my source device if something does not sound right. The best thing with nCore is its transparency, it does not sound, so there is only one place left to blame, the source. And since i am all for computer based hifi and i don't mind turning a virtual knob for more pleasure, things like digital room correction and transient manipulation and what not, that makes me a very happy nCore owner. The nCore takes pretty much every, even smallest change and reproduces it faithfully. I can make it sound like pretty much anything. Many other amps have too much its own "sound" or limitations to do that.

I think that is what you get when you buy an nCore amp, potential. Thats all you get, but thats also all you need.

About the "sound" and stuff (warning: easter wine content):

After buying nCores, I guess i am turning into a source-first guy. Once the speakers are properly placed, i always tune my source device if something does not sound right. The best thing with nCore is its transparency, it does not sound, so there is only one place left to blame, the source. And since i am all for computer based hifi and i don't mind turning a virtual knob for more pleasure, things like digital room correction and transient manipulation and what not, that makes me a very happy nCore owner. The nCore takes pretty much every, even smallest change and reproduces it faithfully. I can make it sound like pretty much anything. Many other amps have too much its own "sound" or limitations to do that.

I think that is what you get when you buy an nCore amp, potential. Thats all you get, but thats also all you need.

Agreed, I have stopped looking at other amplifier designs myself.
Ncore may not be the 'best amplifier in the world' but it keeps me happy.

Unfortunately no Easter wine content here, some of us have to work tomorrow.

A question, some builders seems to ground the power supply to the silver fastening screw and some doesn´t.
An example of ground:
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/1502dan/Mockup3.jpg

Why do they ground the power supply like this?

It's described in the PDF under "1 Safety precautions" that using a conductive spacer on the fourth SMPS600 pin improves EMI performance so I guess it makes sense to connect it if you want the best performance possible =)

Ok, a following up question.

Here are a picture as it seems to me a nice proper build, and here have the builder grounded the power supply with a wire directly to the ground on powersupply from the IEC inlet.
http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_41171.jpg

I was thinkin to put a grounded wire from the IEC ground pin to one screw on the IEC and another wire from the powersupply (silver ground pin) to the other screw that fasten the IEC.

Is it better option to ground as shown in picture or the way i was thinking or it doesn´t matter?

As you probably understand from my questions, i am a completely n00b at this and want to connect/build my amps in best and proper way it could be built, as i do with other things i build.

The problem is that in most cases there is not one single "best and proper way". You always make trade-offs and compromises, and making the right decisions often require understanding the pros and cons.

From a sound quality point of view the "best" solution is probably not to connect mains earth at all, but if you do that, you'd better understand the safety implications (and be familiar with category II rules). Therefore I definitely recommend connecting the mains (safety) earth to the chassis.

As for optimal EMF suppression, you then have the conductive spacer directly connected to the chassis, and you don't want to create any extra ground loops. Thus, if you have a metal chassis / bottom plate, you should not use any additional earth connections from the conductive spacer. Just connect the IEC ground pin to the chassis with the shortest connection possible.

If your enclosure isn't made out of metal, then you have a more complicated situation, and might want to look at some sort of star grounding scheme.

And perfectly summarized:

Safety ground must be attached to chassis.
Audio ground is usually separate from chassis.
They are two completely different animals.

However, to fully comply with the requirement that all exposed conductive parts must be connected to Safety Earth then many builders and some manufacturers adopt the debatable practice of directly connecting Audio Ground to Chassis.

DC on input

Hello,

does the NCORE input circuit accept DC voltage on both inputs in relation to ground?

I am planning a new I/V stage for my dac, so it would be easier to accept a DC offset on both positive and negative output in relation to ground. in relation to each other it is easy to achieve zero volt dc offset.

thanks
Peter

Ok, a following up question.

Here are a picture as it seems to me a nice proper build, and here have the builder grounded the power supply with a wire directly to the ground on powersupply from the IEC inlet.
http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_41171.jpg

I was thinkin to put a grounded wire from the IEC ground pin to one screw on the IEC and another wire from the powersupply (silver ground pin) to the other screw that fasten the IEC.

Is it better option to ground as shown in picture or the way i was thinking or it doesn´t matter?

Grounding 101.... The wheel has been invented long before us.

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

Before we write ten pages about grounding solutions, maybe it is wise to take a closer look at the NC400 and SMPS.

The baseplate of the NC400 is connected to the signal ground and 0v power connection. The metal stud of the smps is also connected to the 0v.

If you screw them in a metal case the signal ground is never floating!!!!!!!

And to prevent strange current flows the pin 1 of the XLR and the shielding of the input cable should be connected to the chassis.

And to prevent strange current flows the pin 1 of the XLR and the shielding of the input cable should be connected to the chassis.

Absolutely. But I think the issue and confusion is about the mains earth (the centre pin of a 3-pin IEC power connector). There is no need, from a signals point of view, to connect it to the chassis, but unless you know what you are doing, it is a good idea from a safety point of view.

The other issue is people who build their amps with acrylic or wooden enclosures without a metal chassis - they need to pay attention to their ground paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.