Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a utterly wrong assumption that the damping factor of an amp has an influence on sound quality in horn speakers!

As my only experience with horns is in PA applications (where things like damping factor are rather secondary factors), so I am in no position to argue with you on that point - all I know is that some people I know and respect don't share your view. Do you have any references to support your rather strong statement?

Horns don't make any exception to preserving damping factor - while the difference between horns and "normal" speakers might be that the horns don't benefit as much from a high damping factor, it doesn't change the fact that a series resistor will spoil the damping factor.
Don't agree. I explained why.
And that is experienced with decades on 'hi end' horns, on my side.
Horns are usually used on a large bandwidth, means you don't like to make them fractionate at HF.
They are damped by design on all the surface of the membrane by the compression. You do not want to add a risk to fractionate, trying to damp them with high slew rate signals applied to their coil at the edge of the membrane.

More generally, damping factor is really useful only at resonance.
You do not use a horn driver at his resonance, if you avoid distortion.
It is like large band speakers: They definitively don't like electric damping, because you use them above the frequency where they fractionate, and work better with a high impedance amp, damping their resonance by a bass reflex or a 1/4 wave enclosure.
More damping to them, more you ear the "membrane material" and get a tortured frequency curve.

Last edited:
As my only experience with horns is in PA applications (where things like damping factor are rather secondary factors), so I am in no position to argue with you on that point - all I know is that some people I know and respect don't share your view. Do you have any references to support your rather strong statement?

Scroll to the part dampening and dynamics:

Why Horns?

More generally, damping factor is really useful only at resonance.
You do not use a horn driver at his resonance, if you avoid distortion.
It is like large band speakers: They definitively don't like electric damping, because you use them above the frequency where they fractionate, and work better with a high impedance amp, damping their resonance by a bass reflex or a 1/4 wave enclosure.
More damping to them, more you ear the "membrane material" and get a tortured frequency curve.

OK - as I stated, my experience with horns is mostly in the PA area. One of the horns I was involved in long ago was a 3 m x 2 m x 1 m concrete horn, with 2 15" drivers. They definitely benefited from damping.

So, in order to get this discussion back to nCores, can we agree that a resistor on the output of the nCore definitely spoils the excellent damping ratio of the nCores. It might or might not matter with horns - but anyone using horn speakers probably has a strong view of their own on that matter.

OK - as I stated, my experience with horns is mostly in the PA area. One of the horns I was involved in long ago was a 3 m x 2 m x 1 m concrete horn, with 2 15" drivers. They definitely benefited from damping.

So, in order to get this discussion back to nCores, can we agree that a resistor on the output of the nCore definitely spoils the excellent damping ratio of the nCores. It might or might not matter with horns - but anyone using horn speakers probably has a strong view of their own on that matter.

The discussion was: if you have high sensitivity compression drivers and you want to use an overpowered Ncore without hiss, should you reduce the gain of it ( 3 db) or is it possible to use a lpad or series resistor without serious quality loss.

I have never liked them for domestic listening (horns) , over 6m , well Ok ...

Yes, but they are used at their resonance point.......................

The discussion was: if you have high sensitivity compression drivers and you want to use an overpowered Ncore without hiss, should you reduce the gain of it ( 3 db) or is it possible to use a lpad or series resistor without serious quality loss.

And within those narrow confines, yes, I am willing to admit that there probably won't be serious quality loss.

I confirm. I was talking about compression drivers. Long time ago, I used JBL cones drivers in horns enclosures at the time i was in charge of a big rental PA company and indeed, they needed good electronic damping.

a high efficiency horn is a high efficiency microphone.
For my understanding, if this is the case

horn speakers are acoustical damped devices, they do not need any electrical dampening by the amplifier.
then how can this be the case?

a high efficiency horn is a high efficiency microphone.
This signal is seen by the amplifier, and will be added in the feedback loop of the amp.
Isn't that exactly the reason why you want a high damping factor/low output impedance, to absorb currents from the driver that are nothing to do with the signal being fed to the driver?

More than that, as the Ncore is a class D amp, it would be stupid to loose its definition. Limiting its power is like reducing a digital delta sigma DAC to the first bits, in a way. The good way to adapt its power would be to reduce the power supply voltage.
No it's not. A class d amp doesn't have any quantisation in its amplitude, it is completely linear. It could be argued that there is quantisation in its frequency resolution because of its switching frequency, but not in its amplitude

Lowering its power supply voltage won't change its gain or noise characteristics, it will lower its maximum power because it will clip earlier. It may/will also change its open loop linearity at the desired (low) operating power. If we assume that the amplifier is more linear about its centre point, then it is more linear at lower amplitudes than higher amplitudes and so lowering the supply voltage lowers the point/power at which these 'higher amplitude' non-linearities will occur

ChrisPA, a class D amp is a width modulation of a square pulse. The width is set by a comparator between a triangle signal and the input signal. Its precision (so its definition or distortion) depend of the internal noise and the level of the input signal (you get better precision if you compare V than µV).

Reducing the voltage of the pulses (reducing the voltage feeding the power Mosfet) reduce the power (less voltage) without changing the widths of the pulses. The output noise will be reduced in the same time.
It is obvious.
It will not clip 'earlier' with the input signal. It will just reduce the acoustic power, Like if you used a less efficient speaker. That we want with a high efficiency speaker like a compression driver+horn.

Look at the distortion+noise curve of an amp: it will increase as the level decreases, at least because the amp's noise.

To explain the things with other words, instead of using 0 to 5% of the modulation range in normal work, you will use 0 to 30% for the same acoustic level. See what i mean ?

About compression driver, the membrane is damped by the high pressure a little like if it was in water. The little volume of air between the phase plug and the membrane oppose a great force against movements. The excursion of the membrane is very little, for the same acoustic level compared at the one you would need in free air.
http://www.meyersound.com/news/press/images/meyer_diag.l.gif

Last edited:
Reducing the voltage of the pulses (reducing the voltage feeding the power Mosfet) reduce the power (less voltage) without changing the widths of the pulses. The output noise will be reduced in the same time.

Why would reducing the voltage reduce noise? What you want to do is decrease *gain*.

It will not clip 'earlier' with the input signal. It will just reduce the acoustic power, Like if you used a less efficient speaker.

If you reduce the voltage, the point where the amp will clip (by running out of ability to produce the required amplitude/power) will happen sooner if you keep the gain constant but reduce the voltage available.

Reducing the *gain* will produce less acoustic power, but that has nothing to do with the available voltage.

Look at the distortion+noise curve of an amp: it will increase as the level decreases, at least because the amp's noise.

Yes. And noise does not decrease with decreasing voltage, it decreases with decreasing gain.

To explain the things with other words, instead of using 0 to 5% of the modulation range in normal work, you will use 0 to 30% for the same acoustic level. See what i mean ?

And why would that affect noise and/or distortion?

In this:

squeezebox_mr.jpg

(digital volume control, before the DAC's)

Aha, the real one:D

Why would reducing the voltage reduce noise? What you want to do is decrease *gain*.
when you decrease gain, you decrease noise, because the same modulated noise will be carried by a lower voltage.
i don't understand why this is so hard to understand.
If you want to reduce the output level of a DAC, you have 3 solutions
1- Set an attenuator. (But you will increase output impedance after-it).
2- Reduce the level in the digital domain, but it will reduce the definition (less bits)
3- Reduce the analog voltage reference: each bit will have a lower voltage, but you will keep the definition.
Ok, that's enough about the question, i think.

Last edited:
The dilemma of low distortion equipment, or systems, is that you can then listen "deeper" into the sound without effort: mediocre sound smears everything with a relatively uniform patina, which may be pleasant, or unpleasant, and one tends to listen to the outside surface of the musical happenings. So, if you can listen further into the mix then your ear adjusts, and realises that something that didn't register before is very clear, and in fact is "wrong", could be improved. Hence the journey continues ...

Frank
So true!

everyone is listening for different parameters with different ears

most speakers loose 99% of whatever you feed them

seems like the overall sport in hi-fi engineering these days lies in solving errors everywhere else than where they occurs in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.