Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
An easy way to remove R141:

First splatter the top and both sides of the resistor with some solder.

Then heat both sides at the same time by laying the soldering iron and when heated just push the resistor away, or push it off with a tweezer.

As I have said before - splatter the ENTIRE resistor with solder, and it will just follow the solder iron when you remove it. Very very simple, and with low risk.

I'm sorry but I don't get it. that resistor is at the edge of the board which should make things easier. and one can practice on a scrapped board. and how in the world is taking a dremel close to the NCORE safer than using a soldering iron? I have worked with surface mount parts, not much but enough to tell you it can be done and I don't have the steadiest hand (due to alcohol and hard drugs abuse, joking) or the best vision (wearing glasses since I was 4) and I managed to do it fine.

If you put a series resistor between your amp and driver you do get most of the benefits of current drive (lower distortion), but of course you loose a lot of power along the way...

But you'd have to use quite a large resistor and even if you use a large one a true current source amp is better.

I'm still hoping hypex will produce a current source NCore, ideally a lower powered one or a dual channel NCore module but I wouldn't complain if it was a normal single channel one ;)

With DSP being so widespread now the different driver response shoulnd't be an issue, would make an awesome combo with the DLCP for sure =)

I came from a 8W class A ...
The ncore is definitely better

no, trust me dont push the resistor :(

Agree!!! DON'T remove the resistor!!!

Dynamics, openness and everything suffers big time on every other speaker tried, except for my 108 db horns, which in fact do even better with a pair SILK transformers in front of the ncore instead of no resistor

(and it was a quite delicate job to solder it back on ;0)

Are you saying removing R141 degrades the sound somehow?

depends:

at a evening i Copenhagen Hi-Fi club (Storkøbenhavns Hi-Fi Klub Hvidovre) last year, the ncore with linear PSU (and R141) totally trashed the ncore with SMPS (no R141)

the no R141 ncore sounded extremely thin, flat and boxy driven by 3 different preamps (active) connected to insensitive <86db speakers (with Duelund crossovers)
http://www.steenduelund.dk/download/duelund-filter.pdf

later I found out the only preamp I had that still could reveal the true level of the ncore (without R141) is my E88CC based (line stage) Tubeguru RR

(with the R141 back in place the SMPS fed ncore is ahead of the linear PSU ncore )

So again I have to say: whatever you put in front of the ncore IT will shine through in all its "glory", the ncore being the most revealing and "invisible" amp, you will hear your front gear more than anything else . Changing the ncore input, will make this even more true, and put more demand on the pre for sure, and one can TOTALLY forget all about a passive pre

just experience ;0)

Il-Bahnsen

According to Bruno, the performance of the NC400 is slightly improved by removing R141, as the amount of feedback increases by 4,17 times.

Now this is very interesting to me

if all else remains equal, the lower input sensitivity (which is really the lower overall rate of amplification due to increased feedback?) should just come down to the pre to deliver, but the "magic", power and effortlessness was lost in even the cases were the source had plenty left

Well, the problem was most likely somewhere else than the Ncore.

In my case, I had a slight improvement in sound quality by lowering the Ncore's gain, as the gain structure of my system improved.

Well, the problem was most likely somewhere else than the Ncore.

Different equipment, different speakers, different places (4), different listeners, = same results more or less

In my case, I had a slight improvement in sound quality by lowering the Ncore's gain, as the gain structure of my system improved.

Have you tried comparing to standard ncore with transformer in front for lowering gain?

works best for me anyway

Have you tried with different pre's or speakers in your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.