Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what gainstructure is, been in pro audio for many years.

What I mean is the ncore has an output noise of 25uV and a signal to noise ratio of 125 db. Gain is only 26 db ( most pro audio amps are 36db). So if you get a hiss out of your speakers, the gainstructure before the ncore is wrong.

You have to solve the problem at the source!

I know what gainstructure is, been in pro audio for many years.

I know you would know, that is why I was surprised you would ask.

What I mean is the ncore has an output noise of 25uV and a signal to noise ratio of 125 db. Gain is only 26 db ( most pro audio amps are 36db). So if you get a hiss out of your speakers, the gainstructure before the ncore is wrong.

You have to solve the problem at the source!

There doesn't necessarily have to be a problem - but why would you on purpose give away some SNR? And Bruno has commented that the performance of the nc400 does improve a tiny bit with increased feedback (which is what you get if you lower the gain instead of attenuating the signal).

Any attenuating network will always compromise the impedance matching between source and amp to some degree. Whether it makes any audible difference is another matter, but why eschew an ideal solution in favour of an inferior one at the same cost and effort?

...but why eschew an ideal solution in favour of an inferior one at the same cost and effort?

Well, it seems that the relatively simple task of desoldering an SMD resistor can turn into a disaster for quite a few people.
Considering NC400s are not exactly affordable modules, if one is not confident with his soldering skills, he'd be better off using attenuators.

Or reduce the gain of the preceding stage

Definitely the easiest solution if there is provision for it. Many of us have sources with limited gain range.

Soldering on these modules is like Russian roulette for most of us.

Right - but this is DIYaudio after all :)

I agree that people should be aware that the removal of R141 requires precision soldering and can go wrong.

I was simply responding to the question posted by ds23man, "Why do people always want to change the gain?", by pointing out there are good reasons to do it. Is it worth the risk? That's a different question.

Definitely the easiest solution if there is provision for it. Many of us have sources with limited gain range.

Right - but this is DIYaudio after all :)

I agree that people should be aware that the removal of R141 requires precision soldering and can go wrong.

I was simply responding to the question posted by ds23man, "Why do people always want to change the gain?", by pointing out there are good reasons to do it. Is it worth the risk? That's a different question.

We can put this in another way: If I have high sensitivity speakers ( 100db+), why I want to use a high power amp?

We can put this in another way: If I have high sensitivity speakers ( 100db+), why I want to use a high power amp?

Maybe you want to be able to play really loud?

Independent of your speaker sensitivity or amp power, you might have a situation where the last 10 dB of input amplitude make the amp clip. Lowering the amp gain 10 dB still allows you to play at full volume, but gives you 10 dB extra signal-to-noise ratio.

Maybe you want to be able to play really loud?

Independent of your speaker sensitivity or amp power, you might have a situation where the last 10 dB of input amplitude make the amp clip. Lowering the amp gain 10 dB still allows you to play at full volume, but gives you 10 dB extra signal-to-noise ratio.

Yes, and lowering the gain in the preampstage will give you also 10db extra signal to noise ratio. The noise is comming from the preamp stage, not the Ncore! Btw, how many 100db+ speakersystems can cope with 200watt+ input levels???

Yes, and lowering the gain in the preampstage will give you also 10db extra signal to noise ratio. The noise is comming from the preamp stage, not the Ncore!

I guess that depends on your peamp - and some of the noise might come from your attenuator.

how many 100db+ speakersystems can cope with 200watt+ input levels???

No idea - but I also don't see what it has to do with the discussion about amp gain. Why would you want to use a 200W+ amp for a speaker system that can't handle the power?

I use a passive preamp (TVC) after a 5V output balanced DAC.
The very fist step of the TVC is a bit loud for "night" listenings.
I also plan to use a DSP with digital volume control so I definitely need to lower the gain. It is as simple as that.

Before my message there was no serious warnings about removing the resistor, everybody said it was easy ...
After my message, we find 2 other people that had some problems !

that all depends on your skills and experience in SMD (de)soldering, and is in fact not related to the nCore itself.
Some will find it easy, others will find it difficult..
It proves that a lot on the internet is subjective and should be red with care :)

Nevertheless, it's a pity that your amp died :(

Hi Regnad - now I am confused

Do you mean to say that the NC400 with 6" speaker wire outperforms the NC1200 with the longer speaker wire?

I thought you were indicating in an earlier post that the NC1200 sounded better even when using longer speaker wire?

Appreciate if you could clarify - thanks!

Sorry, I meant that the NC400 amps with short speaker cables were better than the NC400 with longer ones. I think that the NC1200 is better still but so much of this is synergy and many other things. One thing is for sure, with the NC400 I considered unhooking the subs and with the NC1200 it was certain. I have not tried short speaker cables with the NC1200 amps.

Sorry, I meant that the NC400 amps with short speaker cables were better than the NC400 with longer ones. I think that the NC1200 is better still but so much of this is synergy and many other things. One thing is for sure, with the NC400 I considered unhooking the subs and with the NC1200 it was certain. I have not tried short speaker cables with the NC1200 amps.

ok - thanks - that makes sense now!

also, out of curiosity how long and what size is the cable with the NC1200?

Status
Not open for further replies.