Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a woodden box, the earth is unconnected, and the signal ground is located at one single point?

Are you using balanced or unbalanced connectors?

As the nCores have differential inputs, there isn't a need for a magical "single ground point" - you connect the input cable/connector shields to the circuit grounds at the input connectors.

Does a metal case has some advantages ?

Yes - it does provide both shielding and cooling.

I really did not expect that the Ncore should be superior to UcD and ICEpower 1000ASP in the bass range, and I was surprised at how great the difference turned out to be. The speakers used for testing was my active H-baffle dipoles, crossed over at 200 Hz.

Similar experience, I built NC400 amps and now have Merrill Audio Veritas NC1200 amps. They have allowed me to have no subwoofer and I have NEVER heard such bass control. MBL 101e Mk2 speakers.

Similar experience, I built NC400 amps and now have Merrill Audio Veritas NC1200 amps. They have allowed me to have no subwoofer and I have NEVER heard such bass control. MBL 101e Mk2 speakers.

Very interested in the comparison between the Ncores and the Veritas amps - were the Veritas noteably different to the Ncores and with which specific aspects ??

Very interested in the comparison between the Ncores and the Veritas amps - were the Veritas noteably different to the Ncores and with which specific aspects ??

After assembling the NC400s I wanted to hear what more power into the 81db MBLs would do and the Veritas were the only reasonable route to those NC1200 modules. I would have been happy with just more power but, to me, low end control, space and detail were all improved. There also is the Veritas milled block chassis, shielding, high quality components, wire and assembly. My Ncores were a very basic build.

The combination of that high SN ratio and low output impedance must have something to do with it. Add small size and efficiency and wow.

System is so good now, using Bryston BDP-1 > PS Audio PWD > Musical Fidelity M6PRE > DPSpeaker DualCore all balanced into the amps. The DSPeaker really smoothed things out below 100 hz.

I had the NC400 amps right at the speakers with 6 inch speaker wires and though it sounded better, maybe because of the low output impedance relative to the speaker wire resistance. Not really practical with the Veritas, though.

Last edited:
I would have been happy with just more power but, to me, low end control, space and detail were all improved. There also is the Veritas milled block chassis, shielding, high quality components, wire and assembly. My Ncores were a very basic build.

I had the NC400 amps right at the speakers with 6 inch speaker wires and though it sounded better, maybe because of the low output impedance relative to the speaker wire resistance. Not really practical with the Veritas, though.

Just to make sure I understand - while the latter part of your post seems to say the nC400 amps sounded better than the Veritas (possibly because of the shorter speaker cables), I am not sure about the first part. Are you saying the Veritas sounded better than the nCores, or are you saying that both the nCores and the Veritas sounded better than your previous systems?

Just to make sure I understand - while the latter part of your post seems to say the nC400 amps sounded better than the Veritas (possibly because of the shorter speaker cables), I am not sure about the first part. Are you saying the Veritas sounded better than the nCores, or are you saying that both the nCores and the Veritas sounded better than your previous systems?

Sorry, short speaker cables did improve the NC400s which were already better than the 2 amps I had previously used (CJ 275M and Parasound JC-1).

The Veritas (with the NC1200 modules) was quite a bit better still. It was at this point I did not need the subs, which was great because I got rid of the crossover and delay needs. Now use the subs just for movies.

To clarify though, the NC400 and Veritas (NC1200) amps are both Ncore-based.

Details will be there after I receive this batch. Because it is shipped from China into Europe, it is always a surprice with taxes and import duties.

Ordered my nCores and PS yesterday. So please count me in for two of your marvellous standby prints. Do you attach an advice how to connect them to the PS or is this foolproof anyway? If not I will be the fool to proof...:D

Does anyone have any pics of the guts and back of chassis of the Merrill Audio Veritas amp they could share? I'm not seeing this on their website for some reason. 9 pictures of the front/sides but nothing showing the back...:scratch1:

I am curious to see if the Veritas is built any better on the inside then the Acoustic Imagery Atsah that was reviewed at 6moons. After seeing the innards of the Atsah I'm having a hard time justifying its $9K /pr asking price.

As also mentioned in the 6moons review of the Atsah I too would have expected to see some attempt at component isolation at this price point as well as a better layout of the binding posts.

Maybe I'm asking for too much here but since they already went thru the trouble of using a milled aluminum chassis how much more effort would it have been to give each board its own separate area for better isolation, shielding and vibration immunity? Would this make any difference in SQ, who knows but at least the cost would be better justified IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.