Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Bent audio's Hybrid True Balanced Resistor Attenuator Module's,with their PRM-1 PCB and balanced input select board. I also grabbed their toslink optical control board to control additional amps with the same PRM-1 with no loss of quality. With that you can daisy chain as many amps as you want together and control the volume with 1 remote. The optical cable only acts as communication for the control. They are awesome. The autoformers are even better if you don't mind the cost. For me I found that the resistor boards were good enough because when turned up to 61 they completely bypass the resistors and I can use the 64 bit dithered volume control in Jriver for music listening, and the attenuators for everything else. They also have a solid machined aluminum remote for $100. Just make sure your source has at least 4v of gain unless you only listen at lower levels.

Thanks. Did you try tubes before it by any chance?

OK. So what do yo think with it vs the Bent? I'm tempted to try a fully balanced autoformer setup.

I use the tubed DAC together with the Bent resistor modules. If you think it's worth the $1900 for the 4 autoformer modules required to make a 2 channel balanced setup, then I'm sure you will be satisfied. For me since I use my computer for audio with 64 bit dithered volume controls, and since I'm in the market for a DAC with a built in volume control, using the $600 resistor modules, which are 95% as good as the autoformers are good enough. Nothing is better then the straight bypass you get when turned up to 61.

why not just use the 64 bit control and leave everything else out? There should be no significant bit loss at low volumes.

Because it's nice to have a hardware volume control when connecting other sources such as a game console, iPod\iphone, cable receiver etc. In those circumstances the resistor modules are more then good enough. When using the 64 bit volume control, I turn it up to 61 to do a straight bypass. It's also nice to have it turned down when starting the computer, making sure the media player has exclusive control, and adjusted to the right level.

Last edited:
The voltage gain of the nCore is 26 dB, or 20 as a gain ratio. 3 V x 20 is 60 V. 60 V into 4 ohms is 900 W. That is not enough?

I haven't done any calculations, just personal experience. The manufactures rated output of my DAC is 3v rms. With my speakers which are 89db efficiency and some other towers I've tried which are 92, I'm not getting enough output. Now when I replaced my DAC with the PS audio perfectwave MkII, (which I think outputs 4.5v) it was a perfect match. Turned up to 60% on the perfectwave's volume control, it matched the output of my dac which doesn't have a volume control. Now if you have really efficient speakers or don't listen at loud levels this might not be a problem for you.

I haven't done any calculations, just personal experience.

OK, but do you disagree with the numbers I presented above? The implication is that if you go above 2 V on the input, you will cause the nCore to clip (or at least exceed the 1% THD Hypex specifies at max rated power).

Now if you have really efficient speakers or don't listen at loud levels this might not be a problem for you.

Whatever the efficiency of your loudspeakers, you don't want to drive your amps to clipping.

OK, but do you disagree with the numbers I presented above? The implication is that if you go above 2 V on the input, you will cause the nCore to clip (or at least exceed the 1% THD Hypex specifies at max rated power).

Whatever the efficiency of your loudspeakers, you don't want to drive your amps to clipping.

No I don't disagree with your calculations. But I definitely haven't driven my ncores to clipping. They sounded clear as a bell with zero strain at every level I've listened at. But I am listening to music not sine waves.

Right - that makes me think something in your source might be attenuating the signal to the DAC. What are you using as your source?

I use my macbook pro with either Pure music, or Audirvana on OSX, or Jriver on my Windows 7 side. The DAC is a Eastern Audio Minimax plus. It has both tube and SS output stages. The stock tube output stage with stock tube is rated @ 3v RMS. I've upgraded the opamps on the SS side which further increased the output on the SS. So I'm not sure what the SS is putting out but it's more then the tube and is still not enough for me. The PS Audio connected to the same computer and software puts out more then enough.

Just to be sure, I went back to check. In this posting, Bruno states "Since gain is (very nearly) 20x, you need 2Vrms for full power. "

Yes with some louder recordings on my SS output it is enough. But I like to have the extra gain on tap for when I'm listening to quieter recordings. He's probably talking about full power playing back white noise or something

Last edited:
The DAC is a Eastern Audio Minimax plus. It has both tube and SS output stages. The stock tube output stage with stock tube is rated @ 3v RMS. I've upgraded the opamps on the SS side which further increased the output on the SS. So I'm not sure what the SS is putting out but it's more then the tube and is still not enough for me.

Would be interesting to measure how much it actually puts out. Do you have a 'scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.