Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I am cheating a little bit, since I have two NC400 amps per channel for the woofer section, so the total output power is higher of course. But the efficiency is very high, even if they are dipoles. I have eight 21" woofers per channel in large H-baffles. That's pretty efficient .... and I listen at very short distance.

In my apartment, even my 85 db/W speakers rarely see more than 1W. 1W is pretty loud!

The issue with amps is that the gain is almost always set too low. People have the volume turned 3/4 of the way yet don't realize that they are using only 0.5W out of their 400W amp.

if thats all they need then thats the perfect situation and they are getting the best performance out of their front end

I agree. People frequently talk of the bass improving, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual bass frequencies; it's actually the transients and higher harmonics being reproduced properly that creates the subjective impression of better bass. I have a system with bass reproduction capabilities that would be pathetic by most people's standards, but it is capable of creating the experience of extremely punchy, gutsy bass -- purely because everything above the lowest frequencies is done with pretty good accuracy ...

Yes, precisely. I ran across that in a stage monitor system I designed thirty years ago, which had a woofer crossed to a constant directivity horn. In theory everything was fine, measured reasonably well, but the musicians complained it sounded not as clear as it might have been. One of the other fellows suggested adding a supertweeter above 5 kHz; lo & behold the entire spectrum sharpened up dramatically. The former "muddy bottom end" turned into "taut and precise bass" even though the new driver had little effect below its crossover frequency.

Moral of the story: the ear is a funny instrument, full of surprises.

Nope...

Independant of all...yes.
But when we are in front (in acustic room) a musician's eg. jazz, we all agree perfect on sound. :) ..funny stop?

my moral is...we not know. and even in base of science, exist subjective..just this i think is absourd.

I do not agree with the above. I have heard plenty of musicians playing live un-amplified music which could have sounded better. Sometimes the room is to blame, sometimes the "mix" as played by the musicians, sometimes the musicians tone is not so great, and on...

In your post, there some variables then sound change.
Acoustics room is...the acoustics room.
Musician... is the musician.
This two "factor" determine all others, from perfection of natural instrument up to acoustic of the room.
This is also, a perfect experiment in realtime (this two post i mean).
You answered using your personal store of knowledge ... instead of references to "absolute". normal human reaction sure, but is wrong if you apply in the judgment or in the design of equipment.
so it is important that we all refer to science.

Regards

Last edited:
AP2, to me it's not entirely clear what you want to achieve with your postings in this topic. Pehaps it's the fact that you are using translation programs, but for me it's VERY hard to understand your posts and I always wonder what they have in common with the subject of this topic...

Not exist "other reason".
when I read (occasionally), it seems that this thread exist an custom science. I explained what is actually distortion vs. time. (in simple word)
I try to enlighten some lost sheep maybe. just to avoid a few million people receive a wrong culture, considering that the thread is widely read.

thanks for the welcome.

There is no such thing as a "bad batch" were you to use linear supplies. As a side effect the sound may also get better. Of course those cannot compete in coolness. :)

Yet they run cooler (Linear unregulated PS that is)
- and are thereby also more efficient in power consumption no matter what SMPS-believers believe. Heat equals power consumption. Conservation of energy still rules.

A bit scary to hear about the bad SMPS´s. For me the selling point regarding getting a Hypex SMPS is that they have been factory tweaked and adjusted to make Hypex amps sound as intended.

A linear "home brew" would introduce a bunch of tweaking variable -both for good and bad. The SMPS offerings are plug n´ play deals.

- But if they only last 2 years (as warranty should guarantee) I´ll prefer the old heavy tweaky iron-donut-based approach.

It would be great to have Hypex commenting on the reliability issue as I am probably not alone in not wanting to bring something electrically into my home that isn´t made to last...

AP2, if I read you right, you promote a "purely scientific" discussion, no?

(Sorry to all others for digging into this off-topic subject)

If so, the problem is that pure scientific claims and methods are developed (and Delimitated) for a very different use and purposes than to account for what we as "audio designers" need to make practically useful solutions.
(Don´t derive from this that I claim science NOT to be useful, I would never suggest that; science has only made us wiser)

-To cut a way too long story short:

Science IS typically right, but the point here is that this only applies to very purified and idealized phenomena -typically created under laboratory conditions. Such Lab conditions are VERY different from our actual home audio system implementations. We therefore need to be very cautious about what kind of recognitions we attempt to derive in the name of science to account for the issues that we try to deal with in our audio systems.

(Read that Science can only be expected to offer idealized "theoretical model(s)" that each only take into account a very delimitated set of variables -not necessarily well connected to what we experience and have interest in, BUT necessarily ONLY an abstracted extracted re-presentation of a much more complex and therefore too confusing experience) -Science constructs the phenomenon it studies -both in a sociological, psychological AND Material sense -of course.

Another point is that our personal and local experiences are very useful when shared as such -and not promoted as generalized recognitions. Science actually works that way too, just through much more standardized forms to make the different (local) data sets compatible and comparable for a collective analytical interpretation.

just me 2 x 2 cents,
Best,

Last edited:
This topic keeps running in cirles..... Sound quality and the type of PSU is discussed here for more than 548 pages:eek:

Maybe it is time to do a proper ABX test with Ncore, ucd, smps, conventional supplies and some high end amps. Of course this should be done with a switching rig with level matching........

Maybe it is time to do a proper ABX test with Ncore, ucd, smps, conventional supplies and some high end amps. Of course this should be done with a switching rig with level matching........
Even that will not drive to any valuable conclusions. Power supplies are all different, Peak current, average current, HF transformers leakages, regulated/stabilized,/linear, Caps values, Caps qualities, cabling's influence, Shieldings, EMI pollution of the outlets, quality of the sources, quality of the speakers...

So, the only conclusion i would be interested in would be: "No obvious (or big) difference".
It seem to be the reports of several people, comparing PSUs.
If there is no problems with the residual switching frequency, i presume that SMPS will provide some advantages regarding price size and simplicity, as well as regulated voltages by defaults. Then it will be time to care about their implantation, shielding, to improve Hf rejection and noise if some want, play with caps etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.