Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah...

But to deliver enough current with a linear supply, you are going to need some decent iron as well, quality diodes, quality capacitors. This stuff adds up pretty quick, especially if you are going to do dual mono supplies. A SMPS does not need the big iron, so saves parts costs in big ways...

So I have finally received my custom case and it is a beauty! I will show when its all done. Its a three channel case that is 2U and custom made to support three amps and power supplies, along with xlr only connections and bi amping for all three channels! And this time, it actually provides ventilation, unlike some other cases... My question is about the power application. I have purchased, in the past, molex connections for my custom connections, but now I am feeling a little bold and want to try direct soldering of the power supplies. Is it possible, there is any benefit, or is such an endeavor just all potential downside? Has anyone ever done this? If I did it, whats the best way to insulate the soldered connection?

Thank you

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
People frequently talk of the bass improving, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual bass frequencies; it's actually the transients and higher harmonics being reproduced properly that creates the subjective impression of better bass.

I have an active system crossed over at 200 Hz. Even so, I experienced improvement in bass quality when I changed the woofer amps only. Transients and harmonics were not affected by this amp change.

I have an active system crossed over at 200 Hz. Even so, I experienced improvement in bass quality when I changed the woofer amps only. Transients and harmonics were not affected by this amp change.
Fair enough, it's just that I've seen comments so many times implying that the deep bass frequencies are somehow "better", when it's clear that that it's frequencies higher in the spectrum that are better behaved. Experiments have shown that people are enormously insensitive to distortion in the deep bass area, eg. 100% additional distortion is not detected. But if the woofer driver is producing less harmonic distortion above, say, 200Hz because the amp change is controlling it better then it would make sense ...

An interesting experiment would be to disconnect all but the bass amps, and then compare the sound of the two amps when only that part of the spectrum is being reproduced.

Frank

I have done that test in my system, and I could hear a difference. Listening to music that way is really strange... I XO at 200 Hz with fairly steep crossover slope. The bass sounds anything but "fast" and precise.... is all very muddy.
I believe all, in the basses, lie on damping differences. As well as harmonic distortions stays low level enough.

No. I had UcD 400's with SMPS400A400 and changed to NC400 with the SMPS600. But in a way you can say it the same PSU, since both are SMPS and designed by Hypex.
I think manufacturer has few to do in the matter, but power reserve of the PSU a lot !
I mean, you can transform any amp with the filtering caps etc...
On my amp (2X 140W class AB), i tried a lot of transformers on my PSU. 1000VA was the point where no more improvements by increasing-it. I would double the PSU power vs any amp power consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.