Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick questions

I'm just designing the layout and wiring for my ncores.

The ncores and smps will me mounted on the rear of the speakers, basically on a metal stand-off plate, probably enclosed with perforated sheet.

There will be a distance of about 8 inches between the ncore's output and my speaker's tri-wire terminals. It doesn't look like I'll be able to fit more than 2 wires onto each ncore output terminal, ie. biwire. So I guess I could either use much thinner speaker cable, or biwire into triwire at the binding posts, using one pair of connections for the woofer and one pair shared across the mid and tweeter. Any suggestions guys?

Also I wanted to ask if there would be any improvement by individually shielding (enclosing with perforated sheet) the ncore and the smps from each other, since it doesn't really make any difference to the build.

Hi All,

I'm in the work of building active loudspeakers with 3 ncores per speakers, and I'd like to minimize the place used by the power supplies and ncore modules.

I'll have two SMPS600 powering 3 modules: 1 ps for the bass, 1 ps for mid/tweeter.
I was planning to use 5-6 cm spacers and stack the ncores on the top of each other, and doing the same with the power supplies.

Is this enough or do I need to keep more distance between them to keep the best performance?

Also, is it ok to keep the ncores very close to the power supplies?

Thanks,

igy

Hi All,

I'm in the work of building active loudspeakers with 3 ncores per speakers, and I'd like to minimize the place used by the power supplies and ncore modules.

I'll have two SMPS600 powering 3 modules: 1 ps for the bass, 1 ps for mid/tweeter.
I was planning to use 5-6 cm spacers and stack the ncores on the top of each other, and doing the same with the power supplies.

Is this enough or do I need to keep more distance between them to keep the best performance?

Also, is it ok to keep the ncores very close to the power supplies?

Thanks,

igy
Bruno & Jan Peter seem to be more than happy with this

Control how your interconnecting wires are routed and keep them twisted

I'm just designing the layout and wiring for my ncores.

The ncores and smps will me mounted on the rear of the speakers, basically on a metal stand-off plate, probably enclosed with perforated sheet.

There will be a distance of about 8 inches between the ncore's output and my speaker's tri-wire terminals. It doesn't look like I'll be able to fit more than 2 wires onto each ncore output terminal, ie. biwire. So I guess I could either use much thinner speaker cable, or biwire into triwire at the binding posts, using one pair of connections for the woofer and one pair shared across the mid and tweeter. Any suggestions guys?

Also I wanted to ask if there would be any improvement by individually shielding (enclosing with perforated sheet) the ncore and the smps from each other, since it doesn't really make any difference to the build.

Hi again...

One other question as well as the above, is there any way to invert the SMPS's standby feature (pin 1)? My source has a 12v trigger output that goes live when switched on, pretty standard for hifi. But the SMPS goes into standby when pin 1 is live. Not good!

I can only think to use 12v mains relays that switch the mains live feed to the SMPS.

Would really appreciate some other suggestions :)

Hi again...

One other question as well as the above, is there any way to invert the SMPS's standby feature (pin 1)? My source has a 12v trigger output that goes live when switched on, pretty standard for hifi. But the SMPS goes into standby when pin 1 is live. Not good!

I can only think to use 12v mains relays that switch the mains live feed to the SMPS.

Would really appreciate some other suggestions :)
a transistor?

Transistor_switch2.png

Call me old school but I don't like turning equiment on and off - that always seems to be what causes it to blow up! My current solid state amps and other Class D amps are left constantly on. I'm happy to do the same with the ncore's, but since I'm having to re-build everything anyway, I thought I might as well include some way of turning them on and off with the standby feature of the source.

My idea is to use the 12v output of the source to trigger relays that connect AC live to the SMPS600. It would just have been nice to be able to use the standby feature but I guess Bruno hasn't allowed for standard trigger switching.

My idea is to use the 12v output of the source to trigger relays that connect AC live to the SMPS600. It would just have been nice to be able to use the standby feature but I guess Bruno hasn't allowed for standard trigger switching.

It wouldn't add much complexity to have the relay switch a very simple low voltage supply instead of live AC - the benefit being a) soft start/shutdown, b) not having to switch AC, and c) not having to route the SMPS600 supply through limited-capacity relay contacts. Oh, and d) being able to use a much smaller relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.