Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actual double-blind listening tests?

I believe they were listening, but I can´t recall their test setup.

Since nobody seems to have conducted double-blind listening tests with approved double-blind peer reviewed results under current EE and AE standards, I think thats what we have to go with for now.

Julf, I believe it would be of great value to the community if you were to conduct such a test yourself -especially with thorough, precise and detailed test-condition documentation. I´m sure there are some scientific journals with double-blind review processes where you can try to publish the results :drink:

Julf, I believe it would be of great value to the community if you were to conduct such a test yourself -especially with thorough, precise and detailed test-condition documentation. I´m sure there are some scientific journals with double-blind review processes where you can try to publish the results :drink:

Cheers - I don't feel any need or inclination to do that testing, as I am personally more than happy with the sound of my nc400's sharing one smps per pair, and as I anyway tend to believe the opinion of the designer of the amps more than somebody's statement that "some have claimed that tests showed" something...

As stated, the best way to do that is to either use the SMPS standby line to switch the power supply to standby, or nAMPON to put the amp(s) into standby.

Dear Julf, I understand how to put the Ncore amp module into standby but didn't quite get how you do this with the SMPS power supply. And is it advisable to connect both to a standby switch or only one of the two, and if the later which one is better?

I understand how to put the Ncore amp module into standby but didn't quite get how you do this with the SMPS power supply.

On the SMPS600, pin 1 on J1 is "SMPS Standby" - applying a voltage between 3.3 and 12 V to that pin will put the SMPS into standby mode - and the transition will be a "soft" shutdown/startup.

And is it advisable to connect both to a standby switch or only one of the two, and if the later which one is better?

Well, using the SMPS Standby turns the power supply into standby too, not just the amps, so it is the preferable solution, but requires a separate voltage to be available to drive the standby pin. No problem fro me, as my preamp/DAC can provide the control voltage, but slightly more complicated for a stand-alone amp, where just using amp standby might be the simpler solution.

Nice to see this again. I ordered a TinyIR from the same guy years and years ago. At that moment there was no continuous output (which the new version has now). And the guy was so friendly to program a special version for me, including 2 continuous outputs (for volume). It is still working (on a preamp for my Hypex). So I strongly recommend him, although I agree this is completely off-topic.
Even more off-topic (sorry guys), here another possibility, they also have an IR-shield: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digistump/digispark-the-tiny-arduino-enabled-usb-dev-board..

Last edited:
I plan on using twisted pairs for the NC400 loudspeaker output, but is there any further benefit from using shielded twisted pairs, either from a practical or theoretical perspective?

Considering the excellent current capability and low internal impedance of the nc400, you might have trouble finding shielded cables with enough internal diameter and thus current capability and low resistance.

There's at least a few screened 2x 2.5 or 4.0 mm^2 twisted speaker cables that I can find so that fits the bill

Supra doesn't seem to specify anything about the twisting (typically twists/meter is specified).

As for whether they are necessary, or desirable, is a different matter.

Agree. Probably not necessary. The shield usually adds capacitance, but no idea is that is an issue or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.