Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...

with Pieter, it is fine to be critical as long as we do not attack one another. I am interested in nCore, but have yet to hear them. Sometimes this thread just reads like a fanboy thread, and I have no interest in reading that. Some people appear to get upset if someone says something which could be considered critical about the nCore amps, I do not think anyone needs to get upset.
I am going to have an oppurtunity to hear some nCores in the next couple of months, and will post my opinion on the sound.
I would like to hear other's opinions on the sound, especially in comparison to well known, good performaning amps: how about a comparison to Ayre MX-Rs or VX-Rs, or Pass XA 100.5s, or Parasound JC-1s, or something from Vitus, I have yet to really hear any comparisons between these amps and some of the really good class A/B and A amplifiers out there.

As for SMPS, I think it is valid to to compare the sound of nCores with their dedicated supplies, to those which folks might be interested in building for them. And assuming that SMPS have some problems to overcome is valid as well, they might power the amp modules very well, at the same time they may pump enough RF back into the mains, and into the air, as to effect the rest of the system negatively. I am interested both in hearing Bruno's (biased, of course) perspective on this, and that of other users. Measurements of the AC line while the SMPS are under real loads would be cool, as would RF broadcast analysis versus a comparable output standard linear power supply.

We should be open to learning more about the sound of these amps, and their technical nature, and how their performance might be brought to higher levels as well, rather than just saying: "they are best amps ever", and attacking anyone who feels that might not be the case and wants further information.

Seriously folks, please keep the asbestos underwear and the blowtorch-on-steroids in reserve for taking on an entirely hypothetical apocalyptic zombie invasion or whatnot. No need for flame wars here. Can we not agree to disagree, peacefully, without going personal from time to time? No need to be unemotional or anything, but I sometimes feel between a rock and a hard place in deciding whether I keep my opinion to myself in order to not feed a troll, or not offend a guy with intentions far from offending me to begin with. Other than the occasional throwing of sand, this thread is an interesting read. Let's keep it that way, shall we?

Any advice on this?
Thank you Bruno!
Any chance to see the half mounted cable that comes with the nc400 appear in the online shop?
What method/strategy would you recommend for building an Y (or even W) power supply cable?
Should 2 (I would ultimately need 3...) cables be crimped inside each molex receptacle, or could simple 7-way lustre terminals be used on the cable without specific care?

I wish the cables where available on the website...

When it comes to more than two amps per SMPS, I'd rather go for a cable-wise star shaped distributor board. The lowest part count would be achieved by soldering N half mounted cables to 1 onboard socket, and use another full mounted cable to bind that to the SMPS, so I'm all for the half mounted cable as a standalone offer. Then again, one might go for N+1 onboard connectors and full mounted cables as well. That said, the matching molex assemblies for the board and cable side, along with the proper crimp tool, would be very nice. I mean, you're offering the faston parts for the UcD series as well, so the idea is not too far off.

Speaking of which, I might just need the molex parts for UcD400 and SMPS400A400... Part numbers would be a start, those for NCore you named already.

If carrying all those parts is too much of a hassle, I guess part numbers and links to a few vendors across the globe would be a step in the right direction. Looking for very "specific" parts I try my usual suspects first, and if that fails I mostly have a hard time sorting out all the wholesale offers and such. Hence I guess one or two retailers per continent and a part number would get us pretty far already.

TIA!

Hope that particular "resistance" will be persisting on and on! :up:
I'll have to go full-ack on the "correction and addons in production, transparency in reproduction" part also. It Just Makes Sense That Way (TM).

At least in the digital realm, post processing can be applied selectively, i.e. take your favourite audio processing suite to each sacrilege in your collection individually, and EQ/filter as you see fit.

To each his own, anyway. As in religion, what is good for me might just be as bad for anyone else. And I have yet to be convinced by anyone that his imaginary friend is so much cooler than my dozen of them :D

I am more annoyed than impressed by a certain someone talking little about all stuff not entirely comprised out of russian military tubes, cryogenized including the entire room, while the owner is still inside for optimum results :eek: And don't forget that snake oil pipeline of a speaker cable.

Zealots are -in that very aspect- good for one thing only: making fun of them.

Last edited:
Couple questions relating UCD to Ncore:

1) The nCore is instrumentation input- are all the UCD similarly designed (though naturally using ICs)
2) The recommendations regarding power supplies- can you elaborate upon the 5,000uF cap value for Linear supplies? My UCD PS has quite a lot more than that (CRC with 25,000uF, .5R, 20,000uF). Sims said very good things about the low value resistor in terms of filtering, but because of the higher impedance of the supply I wanted a goodly amount of post-R storage.

Thanks

Short NCore listening impression

I was invited to my verry good friend Marq the other day to audition is new set of 4 NCore used verticaly. Marq is a long time avid AUDIOPHILE and a VYNIL lover. A little more than a year ago he had made a switch from a PassLab amp to a double set of UCD400hg+xr which sounded much more alive. To his saying the difference is now just as steep with the NCore.
From my short audition all I can say is that most of the comments made here are what I heard; nice highs without being emphasize, yes a more distant sound stage but aren't all verry well regarded high end equipment do perform that way, but most of all extreme control in the bass department and on the entire audio range with dynamics galor, low level detail etc..

Basically for me it resumes to two words; CONTROL and COMPOSURE.

Gongratulation to Bruno and is team and a big cheers for is contribution to the DIY community.

Bruno in Wonderland…

At hi-fi show... Bruno is standing around, talking with guests, answering their questions…

(A british, conservative, skinny, old-fashioned woman approaches the ncores stand)…
- Mr. Putzeys! Just I looked at your new amp while in operation! What the hell are all those RED lights doing in there? Are you a communist?

(A young couple passing by)…
- Darling, this is Hypex’s new amp. You won’t believe how it sounds!
- Sorry darling, this is not an amp. It’s a lamp dimmer.
- Darling, I’m serious! This is an audio amplifier of its own class!
- I said NO! It’s a lamp dimmer.
- No, it’s an amp.
- No, it’s a dimmer.
- An amp!
- A dimmer!
- Bitch…
- Idiot…
- Darling, I think you’re too persisting on something you have no idea about!
- My darling John, that little gizmo-googa-boonga-thing is small, light, cheap and cold. It’s not an amp, damn it! How many times should I tell you!
- Ok, ok. Here’s my credit card – but I beg you, use it wisely. Ok?
- Oh my darling, I love you so much! Now, just stay here with these amps. I’ll see you in a couple of hours…

(A very pretty young lady, to Mr. Putzeys)…
- Hi!
- Hello. What can I do for you?
- Well, I just thought to buy a pair of those little apms for my boyfriend, but those red lights are very annoying, sir…
- Sorry Madame, but those little things are really necessary…
- Well, I’d like to change them with some other colors, to fit with the curtains. Can you put, aaahhh let me think… oh yes! I’d like two red, two yellow, one green and three brown lights. Can you do it please?

Status
Not open for further replies.