Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitchy sound?
- did you observe that with the ncores? how did it manifest itself when listening? what was the other kit involved when listening? what were the ncores being compared to?

Look at post 4493 (yes this is a fast running thread...), where one of the builders had some issues and called the sound of his Ncores "twitchy"; that's what I was referring to.

Look at post 4493 (yes this is a fast running thread...), where one of the builders had some issues and called the sound of his Ncores "twitchy"; that's what I was referring to....
..I'd be interested and willing to set up a comparison, but will not take the initiative myself as I am not into the class D stuff.

Have you heard this twitchyness pieter t?
Why are you on this thread if you are not into class D att all?

Regards
KjartanB

Thank you Bruno!
Any chance to see the half mounted cable that comes with the nc400 appear in the online shop?
What method/strategy would you recommend for building an Y (or even W) power supply cable?
Should 2 (I would ultimately need 3...) cables be crimped inside each molex receptacle, or could simple 7-way lustre terminals be used on the cable without specific care?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Good to hear you like them!
How are they compared to the UcD's you used before?

Easy vs difficult loads: My impression is that they don't care ... I'm using Ncores for both a ribbon with is 6 ohms flat, and four 21" woofers in parallell which is less than 2 ohms and creates very much back-EMF.

Have you heard this twitchyness pieter t?
Why are you on this thread if you are not into class D att all?

Regards
KjartanB

No Kjartan, I did not hear the twitchyness; maybe you should read this thread back a bit further to see who came up with a twitchy sound... :(

I am on this thread because I am interested in audio (in general), and class D has my interest because it is one of the few real developments in audio over the last years.
As far as I know, but correct me if I am wrong, this thread is open to all members (as it is an open forum), even if they don't own a class D amplifier ;)

No Kjartan, I did not hear the twitchyness; maybe you should read this thread back a bit further to see who came up with a twitchy sound... :(

I am on this thread because I am interested in audio (in general), and class D has my interest because it is one of the few real developments in audio over the last years.
As far as I know, but correct me if I am wrong, this thread is open to all members (as it is an open forum), even if they don't own a class D amplifier ;)
Good you are interested, and yes its an open thread.
But why ask sombody to test something you have not experienced, but seen in comment by somebody else, ... and you cannot be bothered to test your self because your not interested in class D.
Maybe I should finish my 4. coffee before continuing ;).
KjartanB

Sorry, I am not afraid of a comparison, just curious.
It seems English is your native language but reading it properly a problem?

Pieter,
Chris doesn't have any problem reading English. You actually said, "I am afraid." Perhaps you meant to say something else, as English isn't your native language, but you shouldn't insult Chris for reading your post exactly as you posted it.

You are completely speculating that a SMPS is inferior to a linear supply with ncores (which you don't even own). I don't find those posts useful. Once you have built ncores with a linear supply and as SMPS and taken the time to do an extended listening comparison, please share your experience and let us know. Until then ......

Last edited:
Pieter,
Chris doesn't have any problem reading English. You actually said, "I am afraid." Perhaps you meant to say something else, as English isn't your native language, but you shouldn't insult Chris for reading your post exactly as you posted it.

You are completely speculating that a SMPS is inferior to a linear supply with ncores (which you don't even own). I don't find those posts useful. Once you have built ncores with a linear supply and as SMPS and taken the time to do an extended listening comparison, please share your experience and let us know. Until then ......

In post 4719 I explained what I meant with "I did not compare power supplies; a serious comparison by one of the members is not to be expected I am afraid"; should I repeat? :eek:

Where did I say or speculate a SMPS to be inferior? I only said that SMPS's might be less reliable long term because of their complexity and active circuitry.
When builders are not interested to set up a comparison I am perfectly OK with that; I'd be generally interested though.

Mike,
You (also) seem to take a single post out of context, without reading back a bit...
I explained in post 4727 why "I am here".

4722: "I am not into the class D stuff"
4727: "class D has my interest"

Confusing, n'est pas? Perhaps you are trying to say you are interested in learning about the technology, but you don't know much about it? I would suggest less criticizing/talking and more asking questions.

In post 4719 I explained what I meant with "I did not compare power supplies; a serious comparison by one of the members is not to be expected I am afraid"; should I repeat? :eek:

Where did I say or speculate a SMPS to be inferior? I only said that SMPS's might be less reliable long term because of their complexity and active circuitry.
When builders are not interested to set up a comparison I am perfectly OK with that; I'd be generally interested though.

It's insulting to say that the members here would not do a serious comparison. If you believe that, better left unsaid or do it yourself.

"less reliable" is not inferior?

4722: "I am not into the class D stuff"
4727: "class D has my interest"

Confusing, n'est pas? Perhaps you are trying to say you are interested in learning about the technology, but you don't know much about it? I would suggest less criticizing/talking and more asking questions.

Mmm, not confusing at all IMO.
You are never interested in something but not (yet) into it?
However I do know a bit about the technology, and constructed some UCD amps in the past.
My general interest in different power supply options is an audiophile interest (what might be the sonic influence of linear - SMPS - unregulated - regulated).
Oh, and when you try some French, do it correct (n'est ce pas instead of n'es pas) :D

Last edited:
It's insulting to say that the members here would not do a serious comparison. If you believe that, better left unsaid or do it yourself.

"less reliable" is not inferior?

When you think my post is insulting, please use the report button.
It is up to moderators to decide if a post is insulting or not; it's not up to you :rolleyes:
Once more, and for the last time as far as I am concerned, I don't expect serious comparisons from builders busy to get their amps up and running, and I don't have any problem with that.
At the same time I am convinced that I am not the only one interested in the performance of different power supplies connected to Ncore, as performance of power supplies is very important no matter the amplifier technology (class d no exception).

Last edited:
Mmm, not confusing at all IMO.
You are never interested in something but not (yet) into it?
However I do know a bit about the technology, and constructed some UCD amps in the past.
My general interest in different power supply options is an audiophile interest (what might be the sonic influence of linear - SMPS - unregulated - regulated).
Oh, and when you try some French, do it correct (n'est ce pas instead of n'es pas) :D

That would be do it correctly :D

At the same time I am convinced that I am not the only one interested in the performance of different power supplies connected to Ncore, as performance of power supplies is very important no matter the amplifier technology (class d no exception).

I am interested too. I think you are being too nit-picky, defensive, and argumentative without adding anything but negativity. Perhaps it's just a language issue, perhaps not. Keep it positive. Let's drop it.

I am interested too. I think you are being too nit-picky, defensive, and argumentative without adding anything but negativity. Perhaps it's just a language issue, perhaps not. Keep it positive. Let's drop it.

I do realize that my approach can be critical.
When someone is constructing his amp he might not be waiting for some critical remarks, and experience it being negative.
At the same time I don't think a critical approach is negative when you look a bit further than your own current project, and that is what I mean (the general interest in power supply topologies in relation to class A/B and D amps - and their sonic influence).
When this thread is mere about constructing Ncore amplifiers, and not about discussing various power supply options or other subjects not directly related to an Ncore build, I will keep my mouth shut.
When the more general approach has no place here I think the quality of the forum will suffer; then you'd better ask Jan Peter or Bruno to set up a Hypex Ncore Builders Club Forum, and continue the tupperware party overthere :), because there is nothing to learn (apart from Molex connectors being tinned or gold-plated to give you an example of what I mean....).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.