Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be an interesting comparison for you

The only advantages I see in SMPS's are their small volume and low weight (called "form factor" nowadays); that's why SMPS's are widely used, and it is for obvious reasons.
Apart from that the only fundamental difference is the frequency of operation.
Audio grade SMPS's operate at frequencies over 100 kHz, requiring some active circuitry (with the inherent dissipation); linear supplies operate at main frequencies and don't require active circuitry.This might make linear supplies more reliable long term, but high quality SMPS's should be OK in this regard too.
Please note I am speaking of unregulated supplies.
When you can expain why SMPS's are "better", I will certainly give them a try.
Until then I prefer linear supplies; they also prevent my preamp from moving from it's place when I turn my volume control...

The only advantages I see in SMPS's are their small volume and low weight (called "form factor" nowadays); that's why SMPS's are widely used, and it is for obvious reasons.
Apart from that the only fundamental difference is the frequency of operation.
Audio grade SMPS's operate at frequencies over 100 kHz, requiring some active circuitry (with the inherent dissipation); linear supplies operate at main frequencies and don't require active circuitry.This might make linear supplies more reliable long term, but high quality SMPS's should be OK in this regard too.
Please note I am speaking of unregulated supplies.
When you can expain why SMPS's are "better", I will certainly give them a try.
Until then I prefer linear supplies; they also prevent my preamp from moving from it's place when I turn my volume control...
I don't think I need to explain anything.

Sven,

I'd love to see you do a comparison with a linear supply in stead of the SMPS.
With linear supply I mean a really good one, which IMO is a low DCR power supply transformer and not a huge bank of capacitance (2 x 20 mF high quality low ESR caps should do).
Maybe your "twitchy" sound has to do with SMPS HF issues, and this comparison might get some more insight in the behaviour of different power supplies.
I can't get rid off the feeling that a "form factor" SMPS is not the best solution for an audiophile amplifier.
Earlier in the thread you asked/suggested that someone do an SMPS600/linear supply comparison, so I wondered what your observations were when you'd done the comparison

I don't think I need to explain anything.

Earlier in the thread you asked/suggested that someone do an SMPS600/linear supply comparison, so I wondered what your observations were when you'd done the comparison

Chris,
I did not compare power supplies; a serious comparison by one of the members is not to be expected I am afraid.
There might be (read well: might be) HF issues with SMPS's that had influence on sound (making it twitchy), that's why I asked if there had been a comparison with a linear supply, just to make sure if the sound was power supply related.

It is somewhat remarkable that some of the people who've by now accepted the idea of a switching circuit actually processing the audio signal feel queasy about another one doing raw DC duty.

As noted above:

I would love to see Hypex come out with some user adjustable SMPS's like the SMPS600.

Regulated and unregulated of course.

That would be sooo sweet!

This would be for any component! :D

Chris,
I did not compare power supplies; a serious comparison by one of the members is not to be expected I am afraid.
Who would/should do a serious comparison & how would it be done?
And why are you afraid of it?

There might be (read well: might be) HF issues with SMPS's that had influence on sound (making it twitchy), that's why I asked if there had been a comparison with a linear supply, just to make sure if the sound was power supply related.
I'd therefore have thought this was an ideal opportunity for you to determine for yourself

I'd therefore have thought this was an ideal opportunity for you to determine for yourself

I don't own Ncores myself, and when I had them I don't think a proper construction would give problems with twitchy or whatever sound.
I'd be more interested in regulated vs unregulated power supplies as current demand of class D and class A/B amplifiers depends on signal.

Hi Bruno,

I'm extremely pleased with your Ncore.
I'm in the process of making some input signal cabling for my Ncore400s.
I'd like the female sockets, Molex 43030-000x, that mate to the male connectors inside the onboard header, Molex 43045-0412 to have the same inter-contact plating. Are the header male contacts tin or gold plated?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

I'd like the female sockets, Molex 43030-000x, that mate to the male connectors inside the onboard header, Molex 43045-0412 to have the same inter-contact plating. Are the header male contacts tin or gold plated?

From Molex themselves -
Gold or Tin versus Gold and Tin? |
For any type of analogue signals, gold is a must because of line noise created by tin plated contacts
They're certainly not subjectivist audiophiles.....

Chris,
Who would/should do a serious comparison & how would it be done?
Well, maybe one of the members/NC400 owners might also be interested in a comparison and take the effort.
It seems you don't believe that they would be able to do a serious comparison

And why are you afraid of it?
Sorry, I am not afraid of a comparison, just curious.
So why the use of 'Afraid' ?

It seems English is your native language but reading it properly a problem?
English can be read in so many ways, and I never find it a problem :)
I find it worthwhile to understand exactly what is meant and why particular words are chosen... just like your last comment above! :)

I don't own Ncores myself, and when I had them I don't think a proper construction would give problems with twitchy or whatever sound.
I'd be more interested in regulated vs unregulated power supplies as current demand of class D and class A/B amplifiers depends on signal.
If you are interested/concerned/convinced about the audible differences between supply topologies I'm sure you could arrange to run a comparison yourself. You seem to have had access to ncores and it wouldn't be that hard to arrange to get alternative (linear?) supplies for comparison without you having to obtain ncore modules yourself.

I'd assume there are others on this forum/thread who own ncores and live near to you who would be interested in meeting up with you to perform the comparison.

Proper construction?
- what would proper construction be? what would improper construction be?
Twitchy sound?
- did you observe that with the ncores? how did it manifest itself when listening? what was the other kit involved when listening? what were the ncores being compared to?

So why the use of 'Afraid' ?

English can be read in so many ways, and I never find it a problem :)
I find it worthwhile to understand exactly what is meant and why particular words are chosen... just like your last comment above! :)

Let me put it a bit different to explain what I meant: it's a pity that there is no serious comparison between high quality power supplies until now.
I understand that Ncore builders are first of all interested in getting their amps up and running without problems, but nevertheless the power supply issue is an interesting one.

Last edited:
If you are interested/concerned/convinced about the audible differences between supply topologies I'm sure you could arrange to run a comparison yourself. You seem to have had access to ncores and it wouldn't be that hard to arrange to get alternative (linear?) supplies for comparison without you having to obtain ncore modules yourself.

I'd assume there are others on this forum/thread who own ncores and live near to you who would be interested in meeting up with you to perform the comparison.

I'd be interested and willing to set up a comparison, but will not take the initiative myself as I am not into the class D stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.